Mathematical methods for physics and engineering

In summary: It covers all of the mathematical techniques needed in undergraduate physics and a good extent of the ones needed in graduate physics as well. So, in summary, many people have claimed that the book "Mathematical methods for physics and engineering" by Riley covers all the necessary math for a B.Sc. in physics or engineering, and after taking a look at the table of contents, it seems to be true. This book would be a valuable resource for anyone looking to continue their studies in a related field.
lollofabbrism
Hi everybody. I am studying Biotechnology (B.Sc.) and we only have one course of Calculus and one of General Physics. I would like to continue my study with am M.Sc. in Computational Science or something similar so i need to study more math and physics (so first of all math!). I found the book by Riley "Mathematical methods for physics and engineering" and many people wrote that it has all the math a student need during a B.Sc. in physics or engineering. Is it real? I mean: if a study it am I at the same level of one who study physics (concerning math of course)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I took a look at the table of contents of the book.It covers all of the mathematical techniques needed in undergraduate physics.Also a good extent of the ones needed in graduate physics.So yes,its OK.

lollofabbrism said:
Hi everybody. I am studying Biotechnology (B.Sc.) and we only have one course of Calculus and one of General Physics. I would like to continue my study with am M.Sc. in Computational Science or something similar so i need to study more math and physics (so first of all math!). I found the book by Riley "Mathematical methods for physics and engineering" and many people wrote that it has all the math a student need during a B.Sc. in physics or engineering. Is it real? I mean: if a study it am I at the same level of one who study physics (concerning math of course)?

Mathematical methods in the physical sciences - Mary L BOAS

This book came highly recommended by a few posters here and I have to say I'm finding it incredibly useful.

Related to Mathematical methods for physics and engineering

1. What are some common mathematical methods used in physics and engineering?

Some common mathematical methods used in physics and engineering include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, Fourier analysis, and complex analysis.

2. Why are mathematical methods important in physics and engineering?

Mathematical methods are important in physics and engineering because they provide a way to describe and analyze complex physical phenomena and engineering systems. They also allow for precise and accurate predictions and solutions to real-world problems.

3. How do mathematical methods help in understanding physical concepts?

Mathematical methods help in understanding physical concepts by providing a quantitative framework to describe and analyze them. They also allow for the development of mathematical models that can be used to make predictions and test theories.

4. Are there any specific mathematical methods that are particularly useful in a specific field of physics or engineering?

Yes, there are many mathematical methods that are particularly useful in specific fields of physics and engineering. For example, differential equations are commonly used in mechanics and electromagnetism, while Fourier analysis is often used in signal processing and communications.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to use mathematical methods in physics and engineering?

Yes, a strong background in mathematics is necessary to effectively use mathematical methods in physics and engineering. This includes a solid understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, as well as familiarity with other advanced mathematical concepts and techniques.