Mathematical Logic, Interpretation, Satisfiable, Consequence relation

In summary, the theorem states that for any set of formulas $A$ and a formula $a$, every interpretation which is a model of $A$ is also a model of $a$ if and only if it is not the case that $A$ is satisfied and $a$ is not satisfied.
annoymage
Theorem : let A be a set of formulas, a be a formula

For all A and all a,

Every interpretation which is a model of A is also a model of a iff
not (Sat A) U {~a}

Proof

Every interpretation which is a model of A is also a model of a
iff(1) there is no interpretation which is a model of A but not a model of a
iff(2) there is no interpretation which is model of A U {~a}
iff(3) not (Sat A) U {~a}

i don't understand on the iff(2), it seems to assume that "but" is "union"(U)

this is from ebbinghaus mathematical logic, this is my first time reading mathematical logic books, I've been noticing that much of the proof are using argument(english) rather than formal language. Furthermore like for example iff(1). i can tell how => goes, but rather now i am still trying to accept the <= part. HELP !
Edit: ok i already get the <= part in iff(1), but still don't know what happen on iff(2)
Edit(2):
the statement "Every interpretation which is a model of A is also a model of a"

let B be arbitrary interpretation

is the statement equivalent to "B is a model of A iff B is a model of a"?
or "B is a model of A => B is a model of a"?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A:The statement "$B$ is a model of $A$ iff $B$ is a model of $a$" is true, and it is what the theorem is asserting.The statement "$B$ is a model of $A$ implies $B$ is a model of $a$" is also true, and is a weaker version of the theorem.The statement "there is no interpretation which is model of $A \cup \{\lnot a\}$" means that for any interpretation $B$, either $B$ is not a model of $A$ or $B$ is not a model of $\lnot a$. This is equivalent to saying that for any interpretation $B$, $B$ is a model of $A$ implies $B$ is a model of $a$.So the equivalence given by the theorem is between "Every interpretation which is a model of $A$ is also a model of $a$" and "not ($\mathrm{Sat}(A) \cup \{\lnot a\}$)".

Related to Mathematical Logic, Interpretation, Satisfiable, Consequence relation

1. What is mathematical logic?

Mathematical logic is a branch of mathematics that deals with the formal study of logic and its applications in various fields such as computer science, linguistics, and philosophy. It uses mathematical techniques and symbols to represent logical concepts and arguments.

2. What is interpretation in mathematical logic?

In mathematical logic, interpretation is the process of assigning meaning to the symbols and statements in a formal language. This involves mapping the symbols to real-world objects or concepts, and determining the truth values of the statements based on this mapping.

3. What does it mean for a statement to be satisfiable?

A statement is satisfiable if there exists an interpretation that makes it true. In other words, the statement can be satisfied or fulfilled by some combination of values for its variables. If a statement is not satisfiable, it is considered unsatisfiable or contradictory.

4. What is a consequence relation in mathematical logic?

A consequence relation is a logical relationship between a set of premises and a conclusion. It is used to determine whether a conclusion follows logically from the given premises. If the conclusion can be derived from the premises using valid logical rules, then the consequence relation holds.

5. How is mathematical logic used in practical applications?

Mathematical logic has various practical applications, including computer programming, artificial intelligence, and automated reasoning. It provides a formal and precise way to reason about complex systems and can help in the development of reliable software and intelligent systems.