Mathematical functions from data sets?

In summary: There are many other methods, including "least squares fitting" which minimizes the sum of the squares of the errors for each point. But you may have other a priori information, such as "the function is monotonic" or "the function is differentiable", or "the function is periodic".... which would make the fit even better if you include that in the fitting algorithm.In summary, the process of finding a mathematical function that fits a given set of data points is known as curve fitting. There are various methods for doing this, such as regression analysis, least squares approximation, and spline fitting. The choice of function depends on the desired properties, and additional information about the function can improve the accuracy of the fit.
MathWarrior
I feel like I have gone pretty far in math now, but I keep finding myself asking the same question.

Say I had a series of data points from like a randomly collected survey or stock stock price graph over time etc.

Is there a way to take this seemingly random and scattered data and turn it into a mathematical function which I can then use calculus on to find things like optimal points of selling stock, maximum price a customer might pay based on survey data etc? What is this process called?

I was thinking perhaps you could use sigma notation which directly correlates with the data set or something but I am not positive this would be the correct way?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like you want the concept of "random variable"? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_variable

Basically, a random variable takes a data set and associates with the data set a certain number. For example, a random variable could be the minimum value of the data set, or the maximum value of the data set.

Or, we can also take Xn to be the n'th value of the data set. Then it's possible to form things like [tex]X_1+X_2[/tex]...

Is this what you're looking for?

I was thinking more the concept of taking a set of data and converting it into a mathematical function. Or approximating it with a function I guess? I am not sure what it would be I've always wondered how you would go about getting a function from the data.

Ah, then maybe regression analysis/Least squares approximation is the thing you're looking for. It creates a function that lies very close to the data set. And you can use calculus on the function to get to know things about it...

The process of finding a function that fits some given set of points is known as curve fitting.

There are infinitely many functions that can be fit to the same set of points. The person fitting it must choose what are the desired properties of the function it wants. One can fit a straight line, a parable, a cubic, etc, to the same set of points, depending on the "fitter" 's choice.

Anyway, you can find more information about this here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curve_fitting

When you deduce the 'next week's lottery numbers function' from your dataset, don't post it here, send it to me by PM.

:smile:

The difficulty is that given any finite number of data points, there exist an infinite number of different functions that will give those data points. You need to assume some other properties to reduce the possible functions. It is true that if, for example, you have n data points there exist a unique n-1 degree polynomial that fits those points. It is more common, recently, to use "splines", piecewise defined lower degree polynomials (cubic is most common) that can be fitted to any number of data points.

Related to Mathematical functions from data sets?

1. What are mathematical functions?

Mathematical functions are relationships between two variables, where the output of one variable is determined by the input of another variable. They are commonly represented as equations, and can be used to model and analyze data.

2. How are mathematical functions derived from data sets?

Mathematical functions are derived from data sets by using techniques such as regression analysis, curve fitting, and interpolation. These methods help to identify the best fit for the data and determine the relationship between the variables.

3. What are some common types of mathematical functions?

Some common types of mathematical functions include linear, quadratic, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. These functions have specific properties and can be used to model different types of data.

4. How are mathematical functions useful in data analysis?

Mathematical functions are useful in data analysis because they can help to identify patterns and trends in the data, make predictions, and provide insights into the relationship between variables. They also allow for mathematical manipulation and calculations, which can aid in decision making.

5. Can mathematical functions accurately predict future data points?

While mathematical functions can provide predictions based on existing data, they may not always accurately predict future data points. This is because they are based on the assumption that the relationship between the variables will remain constant, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.