Mathematical Foundations of Quantum Physics for High School Students

In summary: Thanks mate, good luck to you too, you're already learning multi-variable calculus at 15. I'm only learning like basic calculus. You got a bright future man :)
KJB
Hi, I am a 16 year old high school student. I am really interested in Maths and its my passion.

I am also really interested in Quantum Physics and I would just like to know a list of what type of Maths (eg. Differential Calculus) I would need to learn to understand it.

I just need a list so I can learn it in my spare time.

Thanks,
KJB

Physics news on Phys.org
Definitely differential equations, both ordinary and partial. Orthogonal functions, Fourier transforms, complex variables, and a mastery of linear algebra. That will get you ready to tackle it.

I'm 15 and only doing multi-variable calculus, and physics. If you think you can tackle quantum mechanics in your spare time it might take a few years first (iff you're a prodigy you'll probably be able to do it).

Cbray said:
I'm 15 and only doing multi-variable calculus, and physics. If you think you can tackle quantum mechanics in your spare time it might take a few years first (iff you're a prodigy you'll probably be able to do it).

Yeah I'm not extremely smart but I'm looking at doing it for college/university so I am just trying to learn a bit of the math to give me a little bit of a head start.

KJB said:
Yeah I'm not extremely smart but I'm looking at doing it for college/university so I am just trying to learn a bit of the math to give me a little bit of a head start.

Me too, I'm interested in theoretical physics, I'll either go into theoretical astrophysics, or theoretical particle physics. Good luck

Cbray said:
Me too, I'm interested in theoretical physics, I'll either go into theoretical astrophysics, or theoretical particle physics. Good luck

Thanks mate, good luck to you too, you're already learning multi-variable calculus at 15. I'm only learning like basic calculus. You got a bright future man :)

Related to Mathematical Foundations of Quantum Physics for High School Students

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is a fundamental theory that explains the nature of the universe on a microscopic level.

2. How is quantum physics related to mathematics?

Quantum physics heavily relies on mathematical principles and equations to describe and predict the behavior of particles and energy at a quantum level. These mathematical tools, such as linear algebra and calculus, are used to solve complex equations and analyze data in order to understand quantum phenomena.

3. What are some common mathematical concepts used in quantum physics?

Some common mathematical concepts used in quantum physics include Hilbert spaces, wave functions, operators, and superposition. These concepts are used to describe the state and behavior of quantum systems, and are essential in solving the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics.

4. How can I improve my mathematical skills for understanding quantum physics?

To improve your mathematical skills for understanding quantum physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and linear algebra. Practice solving complex equations and problems, and also familiarize yourself with key mathematical concepts used in quantum physics.

5. Are there any online resources for learning quantum physics maths?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning quantum physics maths. Some popular resources include online courses, video lectures, and interactive simulations. It is also helpful to refer to textbooks and research papers for a deeper understanding of the mathematical concepts used in quantum physics.