Mathematica Vector Fields Explaination.

In summary, the VectorPlot function allows you to plot vectors on a grid. The example provided showed how to calculate the direction and magnitude of a vector at a point.
the-ever-kid
I was about to do an experiment in Wolfram Mathematica like drawing electric field lines around a charged body and other arrangements. So i saw this nifty little Function for that very purpose called VectorPlot

My Problem is that i don't know what the function does exactly i went through examples in the Wolfram Mathematica documentation but it did not mean anything to me.

I Read This Article : http://mathworld.wolfram.com/VectorField.html

All i saw was that vector field meant something about the x-axis and some function on it

My Questions Are:

How Exactly are those small vector lines represented ?

Like In this Example where I was playing with the Function

http://puu.sh/pxch

what is happening to the x and y and what is making the vector lines change Size?

What is Giving it direction?

Is there an equation that is defining the vectors.?

Could anyone explain this to me...Please...BTW I am a high school student so can you explain it in a way that is undergrad level...

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 447
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey the-ever-kid.

For this think of the (x,y) representation of the function at a particular point and how that corresponds with firstly the direction and secondly the magnitude.

As an example look at vectors at each point in your lattice (i.e. the lattice is just the points on the grid where your vectors are drawn from for each tail of the vector) and calculate on a calculator or otherwise the direction and the magnitude and compare it to what you see on screen.

thank you chiro BTW i actually figured it out a little while ago...

its like each point(x,y) become the origin and a vector like f(x)i+f(y)j is formed using it as the tail right?

i did that for my point charge and got points

[tex]f(x,y)=\frac{kQx}{(x^2 + y^2)^{3/2}},\frac{kQy}{(x^2 + y^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

Thanks,

Related to Mathematica Vector Fields Explaination.

1. What is a vector field in Mathematica?

A vector field in Mathematica is a representation of a vector function that describes the direction and magnitude of a vector at every point in a given space.

2. How do I create a vector field in Mathematica?

To create a vector field in Mathematica, you can use the VectorPlot or StreamPlot functions. These allow you to specify the vector function and the range of values for the variables.

3. How can I visualize a vector field in Mathematica?

You can visualize a vector field in Mathematica using the VectorPlot or StreamPlot functions. These functions will generate a graphical representation of the vector field, showing the direction and magnitude of the vectors at different points in the space.

4. What is the significance of a vector field in Mathematica?

Vector fields in Mathematica are useful in many scientific and engineering applications, as they can be used to model and analyze physical phenomena such as fluid flow, electric and magnetic fields, and gravitational forces. They also play a crucial role in vector calculus and differential equations.

5. How can I manipulate a vector field in Mathematica?

You can manipulate a vector field in Mathematica by changing the vector function or the range of values for the variables. You can also use the Manipulate function to interactively change the parameters of the vector field and see how it affects the visualization. Additionally, you can use the VectorFieldPloting package to add features such as vector field lines, equipotential lines, and streamlines to your plot.