Math: Solving Linear Functionals w/ Riesz Representation

In summary: So in summary, the problem is asking to find the vector u in Rn such that the linear functional f(x1,x2,...,xn) = x1 + x2 + ... + xn is equal to the inner product (v,u) for all vectors v in Rn, where ( , ) is the usual inner product. This can be solved by finding the (1...1) vector of size 1 x n.
sharkboy
How do I solve this problem- I know it has something to do Riesz represenation but am having difficulty connecting dots

Conside R4 with usual inner product. Find the linear funcitonal associated to the vector (1,1,2,2).

What am I missing- is this problem complete or is there something else Also what does usual inner product mean.

Sharkie

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you read the http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/RieszRepresentationTheorem.html ? I would suspect this question is asking you to find the continuous linear functional on R^4 (a Hilbert space) associated with u=(1,1,2,2) (u is used as in the notation on the planetmath website).

Last edited by a moderator:
So in the inner product what is x?

What is definition of inner product.

Wasn't clear in my last post:

there were 2 questions

1- So in the inner product (in planetmath.org) what is x?

2- What is definition of inner product.

The usual inner product on R^4 is the dot product.

If I remember correctly, the "linear functional" associated with the given vector v in an inner product space is just f(x)= <v, x> where < , > is the inner product.

Morphism - Do I just <v,v> for the linear functional. I don't clearly understand what the other term I need.

Sharkie

Is f(x) = <(1,2), x> a linear functional on R^2?

Yes.. the way to prove is below

Scalar addition

f(u) = <(1,2), u> = 1*u + 2*u = u + 2u = 3u
f(g) = <(1,2), g> = = 3g
f(u+g) = <(1,2), (u,g)> = 1*u + 1*g + 2*u + 2*g = 3u + 3g

f(u) + f(g) = f(u+g)

Scalar multiplication

f(kx) = <(1,2), kx> = kx*1 + 2*kx = 3kx
kf(x) = k <(1,2), x> = k(1*x + 2*x) = 3kx

Since it is closed under both scalar multiplication and additoin, it is a linear functional.

But how does it help me in my actual problem ?
Sorry I don't see the angle

Sharkie

Your question has been answered several times in these responses! The linear functional associated with vector v is f(x)= <v, x>.

Oh, and since R4 is finite dimensional, talking about "Hilbert Spaces" and "Riesz representation" is overkill!

OK - I think I was missing a key info and finally figured it out. On more reading, I realized that a linear functional maps into a scalar. Thats the key I was missing. And all the other exampls made sense then. However, this problem is not

Consider the linear functional f:Rn --> R defined by f(x1,x2,. . .,xn)= x1 + x2 +. . . + xn. Find the vector u in Rn such that for all vectors v in Rn we have f(v)=(v,u), where ( , ) is the usual inner product.

The reason it isn't make sense is where does vector x come into the picture.

They're asking what vector you have to dot with x1,...,xn to get x1+...+xn

Isn't that just the (1...1) vector (size 1 x n)

Yeah

Related to Math: Solving Linear Functionals w/ Riesz Representation

1. What is a linear functional?

A linear functional is a mathematical function that takes in a vector or function as its input and returns a real number as its output. It is a linear transformation that maps a vector space to its underlying field, often denoted as F.

2. What is the Riesz Representation Theorem?

The Riesz Representation Theorem is a fundamental result in functional analysis that states every continuous linear functional on a Hilbert space can be represented as an inner product with a fixed vector in that space. This vector is known as the Riesz representative or the Riesz functional.

3. How do you solve a linear functional using the Riesz Representation Theorem?

To solve a linear functional using the Riesz Representation Theorem, we first need to identify the underlying Hilbert space and the continuous linear functional we want to represent. Then, we can use the inner product of the Hilbert space to find the Riesz representative vector. Finally, we can use this vector to represent the linear functional in terms of the inner product.

4. What are the applications of the Riesz Representation Theorem?

The Riesz Representation Theorem has many applications in mathematical analysis, including the solution of linear partial differential equations, optimization problems in functional spaces, and the study of boundary value problems. It is also used in quantum mechanics to represent wave functions and operators as vectors in a Hilbert space.

5. Are there any limitations to the Riesz Representation Theorem?

Yes, the Riesz Representation Theorem is limited to only continuous linear functionals on Hilbert spaces. It cannot be applied to discontinuous or nonlinear functionals. Additionally, the Hilbert space must satisfy certain conditions, such as being complete and separable, for the theorem to hold.