Math Seminar Ideas: Advanced Topics Beyond Fin Math, Stochastic

In summary, advanced topics in math seminars beyond financial math and stochastic include subjects such as topology, algebraic geometry, and number theory. These areas of math explore abstract concepts and their applications in fields such as physics, computer science, and cryptography. Other advanced topics in math seminars may include differential geometry, combinatorics, and group theory, all of which have important real-world applications and are studied by mathematicians and scientists alike. These seminars provide a platform for cutting-edge research and collaboration among experts in these fields.
O'Fearraigh
class. I did a lecture last semester on financial mathematics and stochastic processes. Know of any cool topics that I could lecture on?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Related to financial mathematics and stochastic processes or just an advanced topic? What is your background?

Actually, I was looking at staying away from the mathematical finance realm (since I already did that). I have taken Calculus I and II (both with theory), Calculus III, Mathematical Statistics, Probability (with Calculus), Linear Algebra (proof-based), Mathematical Modeling, and Set Theory. I am currently taking Advanced Linear Algebra and ODE (I have familiarised myself with stochastic calculus). It needs to be lengthy, whatever the topic (lectures are supposed to last up to 1 hour... though they can be as short as 30 minutes).

Here's a list of easily-accessible and very interesting topics:

• Topology and Mobius Strips
  • Basic Cryptography
  • Tilings and Lattices
  • Fractals
  • Various appearances of the Fibonacci Sequence
  • Continued fractions
  • Diophantine equations (A little more involved :D )

Here's a website I found with many cool ideas:

http://www.math.yorku.ca/high school/seminar_topics.html

Good luck!

Do you have any course that you really liked?? Do you have any course in mind you would like to do something on??

Just of the top of my hat: solving the heat equation is a very cool and broad topic. And you'll get to talk about Fourier series and Fourier analysis.

Or you can talk about image processing: talk about fractals, Fourier analysis, wavelets, etc.

Or Markov chains are also immensely cool. Markov chains are currently used for example in google pagerank.

Related to Math Seminar Ideas: Advanced Topics Beyond Fin Math, Stochastic

1. What is the purpose of a math seminar on advanced topics beyond financial mathematics and stochastic?

The purpose of a math seminar on advanced topics beyond financial mathematics and stochastic is to explore and discuss more complex mathematical concepts and applications that go beyond traditional finance and probability theory. This can include topics like advanced statistics, differential equations, and optimization theory.

2. Who is the target audience for this type of math seminar?

The target audience for this type of math seminar would typically be graduate students, researchers, and professionals in fields such as mathematics, finance, economics, and engineering. However, anyone with a strong background in mathematics and an interest in advanced topics could benefit from attending the seminar.

3. What are some potential topics that could be covered in a math seminar on advanced topics beyond fin math and stochastic?

Some potential topics that could be covered in this type of math seminar include numerical methods for solving stochastic differential equations, advanced portfolio optimization techniques, and applications of machine learning in finance. Other topics could include game theory, mathematical modeling of complex systems, and advanced topics in probability and statistics.

4. Are there any prerequisites for attending this math seminar?

The specific prerequisites for attending this math seminar may vary depending on the topic being covered. However, a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and probability theory is generally expected. Familiarity with programming languages such as Matlab or Python may also be beneficial for some topics.

5. How can someone stay updated on upcoming math seminars on advanced topics beyond fin math and stochastic?

One way to stay updated on upcoming math seminars on advanced topics is to check the websites of universities or research institutes that specialize in mathematics or finance. Another option is to join professional organizations or mailing lists related to mathematics or finance, as they often share information about upcoming seminars and conferences. Additionally, following relevant researchers and institutions on social media can also provide updates on upcoming events.