Math Problem: Rotation on z Axis

In summary, the conversation involves a math problem where the participants are stuck and have not made any progress. They are trying to compute the product of a rotation matrix and a given matrix, but do not have enough information. They have attempted several approaches, all of which have been unsuccessful.
Coal
I currently have a math problem that i am so thoroughly stuck on that my brain is coming out of my ears.

I am given z1 θ = 600 and R10 =
[2 -2 -1]
[1 2 -2]
[2 1 2]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB, Coal! :D

We ask that our users show their progress (work thus far or thoughts on how to begin) when posting questions. This way our helpers can see where you are stuck or may be going astray and will be able to post the best help possible without potentially making a suggestion which you have already tried, which would waste your time and that of the helper.

Can you post what you have done so far?

Unfortunately the things that have been tried have been wrong from the beginning. Between the three of us there has been no real progress so any ideas are appreciated, because any positive progress is more then we have.
We apparently don't even have enough information to google how to do. It's like there is a big hole where or information should be.

I assume we are to compute:

\(\displaystyle R_z\left(60^{\circ}\right)\left[\begin{array}{c}2 & -2 & -1 \\ 1 & 2 & -2 \\ 2 & 1 & 2 \end{array}\right]=\left[\begin{array}{c}\cos\left(60^{\circ}\right) & -\sin\left(60^{\circ}\right) & 0 \\ \sin\left(60^{\circ}\right) & \cos\left(60^{\circ}\right) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c}2 & -2 & -1 \\ 1 & 2 & -2 \\ 2 & 1 & 2 \end{array}\right]\)

Can you proceed with the matrix multiplication?

Related to Math Problem: Rotation on z Axis

1. What is rotation on the z axis?

Rotation on the z axis is a mathematical concept that involves rotating an object or point around the z axis, which is the vertical axis in a three-dimensional coordinate system.

2. How is rotation on the z axis different from rotation on the x or y axis?

Rotation on the z axis is different from rotation on the x or y axis because it involves rotating an object or point around the vertical axis, rather than the horizontal or diagonal axes.

3. Why is rotation on the z axis important in mathematics?

Rotation on the z axis is important in mathematics because it is a fundamental concept in three-dimensional geometry and is used to describe and solve various real-world problems, such as in computer graphics and engineering.

4. How is rotation on the z axis calculated?

Rotation on the z axis is typically calculated using matrices or quaternions, which are mathematical tools used to represent and perform rotations in three-dimensional space.

5. What are some practical applications of rotation on the z axis?

Some practical applications of rotation on the z axis include rotating objects or points in computer graphics to create 3D animations, rotating structures in engineering to test for stability, and rotating objects in physics experiments to study rotational motion.