Math Help: P(40 ≤ X ≤ 50, 20 ≤ Y ≤ 25) & P(4(X-45)^2+100(Y-20)^2 ≤ 2)

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where X and Y are independent random variables, with X having a normal distribution with mean 45 and standard deviation 0.5, and Y having a normal distribution with mean 20 and standard deviation 0.1. Part (a) asks to find the probability of the joint density function from 40 \leq X \leq 50, \ 20 \leq Y \leq 25, and the answer is 0.5. In part (b), the task is to find the probability of a specific region within the joint density function, which can be solved using polar coordinates and the condition that u^2+v^2 \leq 2. The
acgold
Suppose that X and Y are independent random variables, where X is normally distributed with mean 45 and standard deviation 0.5 and Y is normally distributed with mean 20 and standard deviation 0.1.

(a) [tex] Find \ P(40 \leq X \leq 50, \ 20 \leq Y \leq 25). [/tex] Ans. ~0.5
(b) [tex] Find \ P(4(X-45)^2+100(Y-20)^2 \leq 2). [/tex] Ans. ~0.632

Part (a) is easy. I used Maple to find the double integral of the joint density function from [tex] 40 \leq X \leq 50, \ 20 \leq Y \leq 25. [/tex] and I get 0.5

Part (b) is my problem. How do I find the limits of integration? I tried solving for X and Y but I couldn't get that to work. Am I missing something easy here? Please please please help me! This assignment is due tomorrow and I've been stuck on this problem for days. :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Your region is a small ellipse centered on (45, 20) with a semimajor radius of 1/sqrt(2) and semiminor radius of 1/sqrt(50).

acgold said:
Suppose that X and Y are independent random variables, where X is normally distributed with mean 45 and standard deviation 0.5 and Y is normally distributed with mean 20 and standard deviation 0.1.

(b) [tex] Find \ P(4(X-45)^2+100(Y-20)^2 \leq 2). [/tex] Ans. ~0.632
Notice that
[tex] 4(X-45)^2 = (\frac{X-45}{0.5})^2= u^2 \mbox{ and } 100(Y-20)^2= (\frac{Y-20}{0.1})^2=v^2 [/tex].
u and v are the standard variables for X and Y, respectively. They are normally distributed with zero mean and standard deviation 1.

The condition [tex] u^2+v^2\leq 2 [/tex] means that the point(u,v) is inside a circle of radius [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]

[tex]P(u^2+v^2 \leq 2) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int\int\exp(-\frac{u^2+v^2}{2})du dv[/tex]
Use polar coordinates and then your problem reduces to calculate

[tex]P(r\leq\sqrt{2})=\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\sqrt(2)}{\exp(-r^2/2)rdrd\phi[/tex]

ehild

Thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately, I couldn't get this particular problem finished in time to turn it in but I appreciate the help anyway. At least I understand it somewhat now. Thanks again!

Related to Math Help: P(40 ≤ X ≤ 50, 20 ≤ Y ≤ 25) & P(4(X-45)^2+100(Y-20)^2 ≤ 2)

What is the meaning of "P(40 ≤ X ≤ 50, 20 ≤ Y ≤ 25) & P(4(X-45)^2+100(Y-20)^2 ≤ 2)"?

The notation P(40 ≤ X ≤ 50, 20 ≤ Y ≤ 25) represents the probability that the values of X and Y fall within the given ranges. The notation P(4(X-45)^2+100(Y-20)^2 ≤ 2) represents the probability that the expression inside the parentheses is less than or equal to 2.

What is the significance of the given ranges in this problem?

The given ranges represent the possible values for X and Y, and the probability is being calculated for these specific ranges.

How do I calculate the probability for this problem?

To calculate the probability, you will need to use the appropriate formulas for the given ranges and expression. You can also use a statistical software or calculator to simplify the calculations.

What does the expression inside the parentheses represent?

The expression 4(X-45)^2+100(Y-20)^2 ≤ 2 represents a region in the XY plane, where all points within this region satisfy the inequality. This region is used to calculate the probability.

How can this problem be applied in real-life situations?

This type of problem can be applied in various fields such as finance, physics, and biology to calculate the probability of an event occurring within a specific range.