Math Behind Why a Box Tips Over When x > b/2

• MHB
  • Thread starter Drain Brain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Tips
In summary: If $M_{\text{total with respect to N}} < 0$ the box will tip over since it will want to rotate to the right. In summary, the box will tip over when the sum of the moments with respect to the point where the normal force is applied is negative. This occurs when $x > \frac{b}{2}$ or when the normal force is applied at the center line.
Drain Brain
I just want to know the correct mathematical workings of why the box will tip over when distance x of the normal force from the center line is b/2.

what I know is when $\sum M$ about the point of application of the normal force is zero, the box will not tip over.

so, mathematically $W\frac{b}{2}=Ph$

it means that when $x\le\frac{b}{2}$ the box will not tip over. is that correct?

What if the point of application of the normal force is at the center line (i.e x=0)? and What if $x>\frac{b}{2}$?
can you show me mathematically what will happen? Thanks!

Attachments

• friction.jpg
    friction.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 46
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Drain Brain said:
it means that when $x\le\frac{b}{2}$ the box will not tip over. is that correct?

It's the other way around. The smaller $x$ is, the easier will the box tip over.
That's because the weight is responsible for keeping it in balance, tilting the box back to the left.
What if the point of application of the normal force is at the center line (i.e x=0)? and What if $x>\frac{b}{2}$?
can you show me mathematically what will happen? Thanks!

The sum of the moments with respect to the point where the normal force is applied is:
$$M_{\text{total with respect to N}} = \sum M_{\text{with respect to N}} = -W\cdot x + P \cdot h$$
That is assuming the we consider counter clockwise a positive rotation.

If $M_{\text{total with respect to N}} \ge 0$ the box will not tip over since it will want to rotate to the left.

Related to Math Behind Why a Box Tips Over When x > b/2

1. What is the "x" and "b" in the equation x > b/2?

The "x" represents the distance from the center of mass of the box to the edge that is being lifted. The "b" represents the width of the base of the box.

2. Why does a box tip over when x > b/2?

This is because when x is greater than half of the base width, the center of mass of the box is no longer directly above the base. This creates an imbalance of forces, causing the box to tip over.

3. How does the height of the box affect the tipping point?

The height of the box does not directly affect the tipping point. However, a taller box may have a higher center of mass, making it easier to tip over when x is greater than b/2.

4. Can the shape of the box affect the tipping point?

Yes, the shape of the box can affect the tipping point. A box with a wider base will have a larger tipping point compared to a box with a narrower base.

5. Is there a way to prevent a box from tipping over?

Yes, one way to prevent a box from tipping over is to make sure the center of mass is always directly above the base. This can be achieved by evenly distributing the weight of the box or by widening the base.