Material Selection, Insulator, Cryo Temp

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for an insulating washer/disk in an application involving stainless steel at 50 degrees Kelvin. The main criteria for the material selection are low thermal conductivity and durability under a compressive static load of 40 lbf. PTFE, polycarbonates, Micarta, and cryogenic G10 are suggested as possible materials, with PTFE ultimately being chosen due to its performance at cryogenic temperatures. The conversation also mentions the use of wool as a potential insulator and the importance of considering the material's strength and cross-sectional area in addition to its thermal conductivity. In summary, the most important factor in material selection for this application is performance rather than cost.
dfly9891
Hi,

I've got an applications where I need an insulating washer/disk in order to insulate stainless from stainless at 50 degrees Kelvin. I need help in selecting a material to do the job. I.e. low thermal conductivity, durable enough at 50 K to take a compressive static load of approx 40 lbf. Performance, rather than cost, is is the most important characteristic in this case. Any Ideas??

Parameters: OD of washer ~2" Thickness ~1/4"(I can vary on the thickness if necessary but not on the OD). OD of footprint of 40lb load (compression spring) ~1.5".

Thanks in Advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
PTFE is pretty good at 77k

Thanks. Someone on the engineering forum said the same thing. What about polycarbonates though? They can have lower thermal conductivities but I'm not sure of their performance at cryo temps. Thoughts?

Micarta is commonly used for inner vessel supports on cryogenic tanks. Also, crygenic G10 is another excellent choice. Both have relatively low thermal conductivity.

Take a look for properties here:
http://cryogenics.nist.gov/MPropsMAY/material%20properties.htm

Thanks Q_Goest. This helps alot. I'll look up the properties and costs. Will let you know...

Thanks. I'm going with PTFE.

Uh, have you considered wool? Pretty cheap, and if I'm not mistaken, it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wool_insulation" .

I've used simple sheepskin for apps involving temps to below -100 deg F. Get's a bit crisp, but it still works well!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wool? Nice. Now that's thinking outside the box. I like people like you.

I'm going to be putting the insulator in -370 F conditions so I'm sticking with PTFE for now. There is a seal area with critical dimensions so I'm using PCTFE (NeoFlon) for that as PCTFE is good to -400F while PTFE is good to about -325F

Hi dfly. Neoflon and PTFE are commonly used for applications down to -452F. Valve seats used in LHe service for example, are commonly made from Neoflon.

Of the two, Neoflon is your better structural material due to the crosslinking. As I'd mentioned at Eng-tips, Teflon needs to be reinforced when used as a structural material.

Note also that simply finding the lowest thermal conductivity isn't necessarily going to give you the best material for structural supports. Teflon has a much lower strength than Neoflon, so the Neoflon support can be made with a smaller cross section. Similarly, Micarta and G10 have an even higher strength, so supports made from that material can be made with an even smaller cross section.

The best material takes into consideration what can be done by minimizing not just the thermal conductivity of the material, but limiting the cross sectional area to minimize the overall heat transfer.

Related to Material Selection, Insulator, Cryo Temp

What factors should be considered when selecting materials for a specific application?

Some important factors to consider when selecting materials include the mechanical properties, chemical compatibility, electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity, and cost.

What is the purpose of an insulator in a scientific experiment?

An insulator is used to prevent the flow of heat, electricity, or sound. In a scientific experiment, insulators are often used to protect the experiment from external influences or to maintain a specific temperature.

What is the significance of cryogenic temperatures in material selection?

Cryogenic temperatures, which are extremely low temperatures, can have a significant impact on the properties of materials. Therefore, materials must be carefully selected to ensure they can withstand the extreme temperatures and maintain their desired properties.

How do scientists determine the appropriate material for a specific temperature range?

Scientists often use thermal analysis techniques, such as differential scanning calorimetry or thermogravimetric analysis, to determine the thermal behavior of materials at various temperatures. This data can then be used to select the most suitable material for a specific temperature range.

What are some common materials used as insulators at cryogenic temperatures?

Some common materials used as insulators at cryogenic temperatures include polyurethane foam, fiberglass, and vacuum-insulated panels. Superinsulators, such as aerogels, are also becoming increasingly popular for use in cryogenic applications.