Material in STEM needs to have references

In summary, there was a discussion about the importance of including references in STEM learning materials. The purpose of the author is to make the material useful for readers and present it in an easier and shorter manner. However, this requires reliability and responsibility as the author's identity is often unknown. The conversation also touched on the idea that including references can help readers double check their understanding and ensure it aligns with more established sources. The suggestion was made to include references in the FAQs in the future.
blue_leaf77
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hasn't somebody thought that any material posted under STEM learning material should have at least one reference (preferably books or papers) written along? The purpose of the author who wrote the material is obviously for the material to be of use for the readers who are in need in the related topic. He/she presents it in his/her own way, which is hopefully easier or additionally shorter than the existing literatures, so that the reader can get the grasp quicker. But still that requires reliability and a sense of responsibility, as we don't know the real poster in person, often we only know his username. My experience with materials in STEM was that whenever I came across something that is new to me, first thing that popped in my mind was "can I really take the understanding along this author's way of presenting the matter?". I'm not questioning the credibility of the author, I'm just suggesting that it's better to provide references so that the reader can double check if what he understands from that post alone is sufficient and indeed goes in the same line with the more established source.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the FAQs

Good suggestion and we'll consider in the future, thanks!

Likes blue_leaf77

Related to Material in STEM needs to have references

1. Why is it important to have references in material related to STEM?

Having references in STEM material is crucial because it allows readers to verify the accuracy and credibility of the information presented. In STEM fields, accuracy and evidence-based findings are essential, and references provide a means to support claims and conclusions.

2. How should references be cited in STEM material?

In STEM material, references should be cited following a specific citation style, such as APA or MLA. This ensures consistency and accuracy in citing sources. It is also important to include all necessary information, such as author names, publication date, and page numbers, to properly credit the source.

3. Can I use any type of source as a reference in STEM material?

No, it is important to use reputable and reliable sources in STEM material. This includes peer-reviewed journals, scientific studies, and textbooks. Using unreliable or biased sources can undermine the credibility of the material and any conclusions drawn from it.

4. Is it necessary to include references for every piece of information in STEM material?

It is not necessary to include references for every single piece of information in STEM material. However, any claims or findings that are not common knowledge should be supported by references. It is also important to provide references for any data or statistics used in the material.

5. How can I make sure I am using references correctly in STEM material?

To ensure proper use of references, it is recommended to consult a style guide or seek guidance from a professor or mentor. Additionally, double-checking all references and their corresponding in-text citations for accuracy is crucial. Plagiarism and incorrect referencing can have serious consequences in STEM fields, so it is important to use references correctly.