Material Differential-Equation

• Thread starter Mathman23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary: DenmarkIn summary, Fred is asking if it is possible to express the given situation as a differential equation in order to calculate the amount of pressure a wall can withstand based on its size and material. The response suggests two possible ways to approach this, either through a one-dimensional analysis using the laws of Resistance of Materials or a three-dimensional analysis using the Navier-Bresse equations of the Elastic Theory. Fred clarifies that he is looking for a detailed solution using the second method and asks for suggestions on how to do so.
Mathman23
Hi

I have the following problem:

A wall has a size of X square-feet.

Is has been build by a material called Y which can withstand Z amounts of pressure.
A storm which produces winds of N Miles/hour (Equivalent to Z) blows onto the wall.

My question is:

Is it possible to express the above as a differential equation ?

So I can calculate how much pressure a wall of a certain size and material can withstand

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely
Fred
Denmark

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understood you well, Fred, in my opinion no differential form is needed, unless you want to do an accurate stress analysis inside the wall.

You have two ways:

i) establishing equilibrium in the wall considering the laws of the Resistance of Materials. Given the pressure exerted, you will have to solve for finding the bending stress that is bearing the wall. Once you have this bending stress you will employ a withstand criterion, (i.e. the material starts to have a plastic behaviour). All of that can be done with one-dimensional analysis at one of the lines of symmetry of your wall, where surely are concentred the maximum stresses.

ii) If you want to do a three-dimensional analysis, you will have to employ the complete Navier-Bresse equations of the Elastic Theory. They will report you the stress an deformation in each point of the wall. Surely you will have to employ FEM methods.

To be honest, you ought to clarify yourself if you want an "engineering" solution, or you want a full detail solution.

Anyway, there exists ODE's for one dimensional and narrow girders bearing a lot of variety of force distributions.

Clausius2 said:
If I understood you well, Fred, in my opinion no differential form is needed, unless you want to do an accurate stress analysis inside the wall.

ii) If you want to do a three-dimensional analysis, you will have to employ the complete Navier-Bresse equations of the Elastic Theory. They will report you the stress an deformation in each point of the wall. Surely you will have to employ FEM methods.

To be honest, you ought to clarify yourself if you want an "engineering" solution, or you want a full detail solution.

Anyway, there exists ODE's for one dimensional and narrow girders bearing a lot of variety of force distributions.

Thanks for Your Answer.

What I'm looking for is a full detailed solution of ii)

Any idears of surgestions on how I do that ?

Thanks in advance Fred.

Sincerely
Fred

Related to Material Differential-Equation

1. What is a material differential equation?

A material differential equation is a type of differential equation that describes the behavior of a material or substance over time. It takes into account the changes in the properties of the material, such as density, temperature, and composition, as well as external forces and boundary conditions.

2. What are the applications of material differential equations?

Material differential equations are used in a variety of fields, such as physics, chemistry, engineering, and biology, to model and understand the behavior of materials and substances. They are particularly useful in studying phenomena such as heat transfer, diffusion, and chemical reactions.

3. How are material differential equations solved?

Material differential equations are typically solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference, finite element, or boundary element methods. These techniques involve discretizing the material into small elements or cells and solving the equations iteratively to approximate the solution.

4. What are the challenges in solving material differential equations?

One of the main challenges in solving material differential equations is accurately modeling the complex behavior of materials and substances. This requires a deep understanding of the physical and chemical processes involved, as well as the ability to handle nonlinearities and coupled equations.

5. How are material differential equations used in industry?

Material differential equations are used extensively in industry for designing and optimizing various processes and systems. For example, they are used in the design of heat exchangers, chemical reactors, and fluid flow systems. They also play a crucial role in developing new materials and improving existing ones.