Material coursework- young modulus of copper

In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem with their graph by adding uncertainty bars which made the graph more accurate.
roserose

Homework Statement

find the young modulus of copper through calculating the stress and strain, plotting on a graph and finding
the gradient of the linear part of the graph

Homework Equations

ym=stress/strain
stress=force/ area
strain= extension/length

The Attempt at a Solution

having spent several lessons streching a piece of wire i came to drawin my graphs.
However as the ruler has mm markings and the wire only stretched by a couple of mm's i have really really large error bars on my graph. (about 50% near the bottom).

These have streched the gradient so that it is nearly infinate. The maximum gradient is less than th average gradient and the minimum gradient is negative.

HELP!

the graph looks a bit like this:
----
-----------
--------------------
------------------------------------
-------------------(0,0)------------------

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Well as I recall you need to identify the area of the curve that you were experiencing linear elastic deformation. As you stretch the wire then your cross sectional area shrinks and so on and so on until you are into the region of plastic deformation.

Here is a lecture that covers this in some detail with a practical demonstration. Perhaps it will help.

As to your data problem it may be that the experiment and measurements were set up without sufficient precision such that your results may not be all that useful, insofar as you didn't get enough data in the region where there is elastic deformation and too many of your data points are into plastic deformation.

Last edited by a moderator:
My graph looks crazy even with just the elastic values. It looked how i expected it would until i added the uncertainty bars.

Because at first the wire only stretched a couple of mm ,the uncertainty was really high- about 50%, however as the extension increased the error decreased hence the pyramid shape.
My main Problem is finding the average gradient and the range of gradients for this pyramid ,as inevitably the gradient of one side is negative.
For example on one of my graphs i found these results:
average gradient= 437MPa
steepest gradient= -1.5MPa
shallowest Gradient= 1.5 MPa

Hi, Just to get the correct context of this coursework, this sounds to me like an AS level assignment. Please could you clarify this. Also, From the Described Experiment, to me, it sounds like you are possibly doing the 'OCR Advancing Physics B' Specification. Is this correct? (It is easier to provide help for you if you state the level you are working at).

Related to Material coursework- young modulus of copper

1. What is the young modulus of copper?

The young modulus of copper is a measure of its stiffness or elasticity. It represents the ratio of stress (force per unit area) to strain (change in length per unit length) in a material when it is subjected to tension or compression.

2. How is the young modulus of copper determined?

The young modulus of copper can be determined through a tensile test, where a sample of the material is subjected to gradually increasing tension until it reaches its breaking point. The resulting stress and strain data is then used to calculate the young modulus.

3. What factors affect the young modulus of copper?

The young modulus of copper is affected by factors such as temperature, impurities, and microstructure. Higher temperatures can decrease the young modulus, while impurities and defects can decrease it as well. The microstructure, specifically the grain size, can also have an impact on the young modulus of copper.

4. How does the young modulus of copper compare to other materials?

The young modulus of copper is relatively high, making it a stiff and strong material. It is stronger than materials such as aluminum and steel, but not as strong as materials like titanium and carbon fiber.

5. Why is the young modulus of copper important?

The young modulus of copper is an important property for engineers and designers to consider when using copper in structural applications. It allows them to predict how the material will behave under different loading conditions and ensure that it is suitable for its intended use.