Mastering the Solar System Design: Calculating Cable Loss

In summary, the conversation is about a solar system design and the calculation of cable loss. The formula for calculating cable loss is discussed, as well as the difference between voltage and power loss. There is also confusion about the number of inputs for the inverter and the feasibility of connecting multiple PV banks independently. The conversation concludes with a recommendation to seek professional help for the installation of the 17kW solar system.
wfl6
i doing the solar system design.

seem like everything is on track now,
but just the cable loss i not really know how to calculate,
can anyone help me.

i has formula on this
(resistance on the cable (Ω/km)x length of the cable(L) x current of the solar panel(A)).

for the equation above , is that correct for calculate the cable loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
That calculation will give you theVOLTAGE lost in the cable.
The POWER lost is given by r x I^2

yes is for the power loss p=I2 x R.
how about the voltage drop across the distance

(resistance on the cable (Ω/km)x length of the cable(L) x current of the solar panel(A)).

The total cable voltage loss would be double this because the current goes out in one wire and comes back in the other wire, so you get two voltage drops.

vk6kro said:

The total cable voltage loss would be double this because the current goes out in one wire and comes back in the other wire, so you get two voltage drops.
what you mean 2 voltage drop is because of the positive and negative.
if let say i has 3 input to the inverter , so that my voltage drop will be 6 time of the calculation i provide.

If you have a 2 wire cable and a load at the other end, then current leaves the positive side of the supply, goes down one side of the cable, through the load and then back down the other side of the cable to the negative side of the supply.

So, you get two voltage drops in the cable and the load gets the supply voltage minus the two voltage drops.

Why would you have 3 inputs to an inverter?

for the SMA tripower is has 6 input on it.
due to the voltage and current limitation ,
so that i using 3 input.

for the voltage drop x 2 is base on 1 input right.
it won't be affect the 2nd input

thanks

The two wires from the array to the inverter are like two resistors in series, one in the positive lead and one in the return . You can just add the two together together to find the total additional series resistance (obviously doubled if the two wires are the same). If you want to know how many volts will be dropped across this 'loss' resistor, you need to know how much current will be flowing, then:
Vdrop = I times Rseries

It is not clear what you mean about Three Inputs. The Spec sheet seems to imply just a single DC input.
Are you considering connecting several PV banks independently / in parallel? How feasible is this?

the total power i need to achieve is 17000W,
so that i need to connect the panel in series to achieve.
total i has 3 series connect to the inverter.
is mean i has 3 input and 6 wire.
for the voltage drop with the formula i provide i need to be x 6 right ??

Maybe there is an English problem. Could you draw a picture or a circuit diagram of what you intend to do?

A 17 KW solar system with 3 phase output is a very serious project and you need to get it installed professionally.

Professional certification would.be essential if there is a plan to connect to the mains.

The total DC voltage drop would be due to the current times the sum of all series resistances. Their actual position in the 'loop' is not relevant.

i has attach the file in PDF .
i hope that you the image can give you a clear vision what i doing now

Thanks for the helping

Attachments

• demo.pdf
    70.8 KB · Views: 278
wfl6 said:

Thanks for the helping

ok nice pic ... so each cable from each 250W panel array will have its own set of losses

BTW how do you think you are going to get 17kW out of a 750W total panel array ??
you can't create energy out of nothing

Dave

wfl6 said:

Thanks for the helping

Not really clear, I'm afraid. Does your DC switch just connect the PV outputs in parallel? Why would you want to connect only two out of the three panels at any given time?
Your arithmetic is not clear, either as you have already confused Davenn with your missing zero (?)- and also me.
From the spec sheet, it appears that the inverter can handle a wide range of input DC voltages but why exceed the normal operating range? (seems to go up to 800V on the sheet I have read but I may be looking at the wrong model)

This is quite scary stuff. In the words of the prophet "I hope you know what you're doing" :smile:

beside that the diagram i draw above is a single line diagram.
for this inverter is connect to the national grid for applying the FIT.

in the mean while,my total panel generating output power is approximate 17250W +/- connect to the inverter .

the inverter has a wide range of DC voltage is approximate 400- 800V.

wfl6 said:
beside that the diagram i draw above is a single line diagram.
for this inverter is connect to the national grid for applying the FIT.

in the mean while,my total panel generating output power is approximate 17250W +/- connect to the inverter .

the inverter has a wide range of DC voltage is approximate 400- 800V.

You are asking about the DC side? The diagram is not complete or clear. There can be no answer until you address my queries. I suspect that your electricity supplier may also want answers before he is prepared to connect you. They only do business with qualified contractors afaik and would require more information about the safety and control provisions on your DC side, I'm sure. (More than just your incomplete line diagram)

If you are relying on just the forum for support then I question whether you should be involved with this project.

The SMA inverter will "manage" most of the utility issues, but for the DC - Solar side each of the 3 Solar Strings should/will be calculated separately regarding losses - but you should also look at the voltage drop ( basically your first formula. -- for example if the 1st String is closer to the inverter and the 3rd string is farther away, the 3rd string will have a lower voltage at the inverter.
Quite certain that model has boost on the DC inputs, allowing it to maximize energy "harvest" across the three strings.

Related to Mastering the Solar System Design: Calculating Cable Loss

1. What is the purpose of calculating cable loss in solar system design?

The purpose of calculating cable loss in solar system design is to ensure that the solar panels are receiving the maximum amount of energy from the sun. Cable loss refers to the decrease in voltage and current as electricity travels through the cables, and it is important to minimize this loss to optimize the performance of the solar system.

2. How is cable loss calculated in solar system design?

Cable loss can be calculated by using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage equals current multiplied by resistance. By knowing the length of the cable, the material it is made of, and the amount of current flowing through it, the resistance can be calculated and used to determine the amount of cable loss in the system.

3. What factors can contribute to cable loss in a solar system?

There are several factors that can contribute to cable loss in a solar system, including the length of the cable, the type of material it is made of, the temperature, and the amount of current flowing through it. Higher temperatures and longer cable lengths can result in increased resistance and therefore, higher cable loss.

4. How can cable loss be minimized in a solar system?

To minimize cable loss in a solar system, it is important to use high-quality cables with low resistance and proper sizing for the amount of current being transmitted. Additionally, keeping cable lengths as short as possible and avoiding excessive heat exposure can also help reduce cable loss.

5. Why is it important to accurately calculate cable loss in solar system design?

Accurately calculating cable loss is crucial in solar system design because it directly impacts the efficiency and performance of the system. If cable loss is not properly accounted for, the solar panels may not receive enough energy, leading to decreased energy production and potentially affecting the overall functionality of the system.