Mastering Physics: Rotational Motion Around Two Cylinders

In summary: The smaller block has an acceleration of 3.5 rad/s2 while the larger block has an acceleration of 7.5 rad/s2.
lila.haj

Homework Statement

The ropes in the figure are each wrapped around a cylinder, and the two cylinders are fastened together. The smaller cylinder has a diameter of 10 cm and a mass of 5.0 kg; the larger cylinder has a diameter of 20 cm and a mass of 20 kg. What is the angular acceleration of the cylinders? Assume that the cylinders turn on a frictionless axle. I know the answer is 3.5 rad/s2.

Figure: http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1176936/5/P7-59.jpg

Homework Equations

[itex]\alpha[/itex]=τ/I
τ=rF
I=1/2*M*R2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried calculating the net torque of the cylinders caused by the hanging masses. I then divided the net torque by the total inertia on the cylinders using the first equation listed above.

Physics news on Phys.org
lila.haj said:

Homework Statement

The ropes in the figure are each wrapped around a cylinder, and the two cylinders are fastened together. The smaller cylinder has a diameter of 10 cm and a mass of 5.0 kg; the larger cylinder has a diameter of 20 cm and a mass of 20 kg. What is the angular acceleration of the cylinders? Assume that the cylinders turn on a frictionless axle. I know the answer is 3.5 rad/s2.

Figure: http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1176936/5/P7-59.jpg

Homework Equations

[itex]\alpha[/itex]=τ/I
τ=rF
I=1/2*M*R2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried calculating the net torque of the cylinders caused by the hanging masses. I then divided the net torque by the total inertia on the cylinders using the first equation listed above.
What is the total moment of inertia of the combined cylinders?

SammyS said:
What is the total moment of inertia of the combined cylinders?
They don't give it to you in the problem. Would I calculate the inertia on each disk and add those together to get the total inertia of the disk system?

lila.haj said:
They don't give it to you in the problem. Would I calculate the inertia on each disk and add those together to get the total inertia of the disk system?
Yes. That's how I would do it.

SammyS said:
Yes. That's how I would do it.
But once you find the inertia what would you do from there?

lila.haj said:
But once you find the inertia what would you do from there?
Well, earlier you mentioned calculating the net torque.

How is the acceleration of each mass related to the angular acceleration of the compound cylinder?

lila.haj said:
That overlooks the inertia of the two hanging masses. Safest is to assign a tension variable to each rope, an angular acceleration variable for the cylinders, and write out three free body equations.

I think it may be easier to post my work than trying to explain it. This is what I have done, and I am unsure where my error may be. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2485.jpg
    IMG_2485.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,569
lila.haj said:
I think it may be easier to post my work than trying to explain it. This is what I have done, and I am unsure where my error may be. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Easier, but very hard to read.

The acceleration is not the same for both blocks.

Related to Mastering Physics: Rotational Motion Around Two Cylinders

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It is different from linear motion, where an object moves in a straight line. In rotational motion, the object rotates or spins around a fixed point.

2. How do you calculate rotational motion?

The rotational motion of an object can be calculated using various equations and principles, such as torque, angular velocity, and moment of inertia. It is important to have a clear understanding of the geometry and properties of the object to accurately calculate its rotational motion.

3. What are the two cylinders in "Mastering Physics: Rotational Motion Around Two Cylinders"?

The two cylinders refer to the two objects in the problem that are rotating around each other. These could be two physical cylinders or any other objects with cylindrical shapes that are interacting with each other through rotational motion.

4. How does rotational motion around two cylinders differ from rotational motion around a single cylinder?

In rotational motion around a single cylinder, the object rotates around its own axis. However, in rotational motion around two cylinders, the object rotates around a shared axis, which is the point where the two cylinders intersect. This type of motion is also known as coupled motion or rotational motion of a rigid body.

5. What are some real-world applications of rotational motion around two cylinders?

Rotational motion around two cylinders is commonly seen in various machines and devices, such as gears, pulleys, and wheels. It is also used in sports equipment like bicycles and roller skates. Understanding this type of motion is essential in designing and analyzing the performance of these objects.