Mastering Math: Understanding Sin and Cos for 7th Graders

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cos Sin
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of sin, cos, and tangent in relation to right triangles and mechanics. These trigonometric functions are used to express ratios of sides on a triangle and can be helpful in analyzing forces in free body diagrams. It is suggested to study the unit circle for a better understanding, but the student is commended for their interest in advanced topics at a young age.
JamesU
Gold Member
I'm a 7th grade student, but I study more advanced topics. I'm learning about mechanics, but it asks for sin and cos(cosin). I don't know too much about sin and cos, so I was wondering if anyone could explain it. :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
Um, that's a hard one. Sin,cosin and tangent are used to express ratios of sides on a triangle.

Draw a right triangle, and label an angle between the horizontal side and hypotenuse.

The ratio of the side opposite (not touching) the angle to the hypotenuse is equal to the sin of the angle.

The ratio of the side adjacent (touching, but not hypotenuse) to the angle is equal to the cosin of the angle

The ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side is the tangent of the angle.

Its also helpful to study the unit circle, but in my opinion you are way ahead of yourself.

Here's some pictures to supplement what whozum said, can be very confusing at first. I'm guessing with mechanics you are looking at free body diagrams? Basically if you have a force, you can break it up into 2 other forces with trig functions, cos(theta)*force for one component, and sin(theta)*force for the other. Them added up with be the total magnitude of the force. Sounds great that you are interesting in science and math stuff so soon, but don't worry wrack your brain too much, you have plenty of time to learn this stuff :smile:

Related to Mastering Math: Understanding Sin and Cos for 7th Graders

1. What is the difference between sin and cos?

Sin and cos are both trigonometric functions used in mathematics to describe the relationship between the angles and sides of a right triangle. The main difference between them is that sin represents the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, while cos represents the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse.

2. How do you calculate sin and cos values?

Sin and cos values can be calculated using a scientific calculator or by using trigonometric tables. The values can also be found by using the Pythagorean theorem and the ratio definitions of sin and cos.

3. What are the common applications of sin and cos?

Sin and cos have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. They are used to calculate distances, angles, and forces in various structures and systems. They are also used in navigation and in the study of periodic phenomena.

4. Can sin and cos values be negative?

Yes, sin and cos values can be negative. The signs of sin and cos values depend on the quadrant in which the angle lies. In the first and second quadrants, both sin and cos are positive. In the third and fourth quadrants, sin is negative while cos is positive.

5. How can I use sin and cos to solve real-world problems?

Sin and cos can be used to solve real-world problems involving right triangles, such as finding the height of a building or the length of a ramp. They can also be used to analyze periodic data, such as ocean tides or sound waves. Understanding sin and cos can help in making accurate measurements and predictions in various fields.