Master the Laplace Transform with Expert Help | Find Solutions Now!

In summary, my professor never really gave us an example of how to use the Laplace transforms to find other Laplace transforms, let alone discuss how to approach the homework problem. I tried sketching a graph of the summation and then trying to take the transform of that, but I obviously can't do that until the end of time. I'm stuck and could use some help.
audifanatic51
Hi,

I've been asked to find the Laplace transform of a function and I have not the slightest clue where to begin. My professor derived the basic Laplace transforms in class(sin, cos, delta function, step function, etc), all of which I understood perfectly. However, he never really gave us an example of how to use those to find other Laplace transforms, let alone discuss how to approach the homework problem.

rc34wp.png

i made a few attempts. The first was by saying that the transform of a summation is the summation of the transforms. And then trying to take the transform of that, which seems ugly. I also tried graphing it and re-writing it as a series of step functions to get an idea, but I obviously can't do that until the end of time, so I'm stuck. Could somebody lead me in the right direction? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
audifanatic51 said:
Hi,

I've been asked to find the Laplace transform of a function and I have not the slightest clue where to begin. My professor derived the basic Laplace transforms in class(sin, cos, delta function, step function, etc), all of which I understood perfectly. However, he never really gave us an example of how to use those to find other Laplace transforms, let alone discuss how to approach the homework problem.

rc34wp.png

i made a few attempts. The first was by saying that the transform of a summation is the summation of the transforms. And then trying to take the transform of that, which seems ugly. I also tried graphing it and re-writing it as a series of step functions to get an idea, but I obviously can't do that until the end of time, so I'm stuck. Could somebody lead me in the right direction? Thanks!

Try sketching a graph of the summation - it's just the sum of some step functions, with each multiplied by either 1 or -1.

Mark44 said:
Try sketching a graph of the summation - it's just the sum of some step functions, with each multiplied by either 1 or -1.

Right, I've done that already, but how do I get the Laplace transform from the graph? My graph starts at 1 when n=0, drops to -1 a n=1, goes to 1 at n=2, -1 at n=3, etc.

So the series I computed from that was u(t)-2u(t-1)+2u(t-2)-2u(t-3)+2u(t-4)...

But now what?

Where are the 2's coming from?

If you expand the series, don't you get just u(t) - u(t - 1) + u(t - 2) -+ ... + (-1)nu(t - n) + ... ?

Now, what's the Laplace transform of u(t - a)?

Mark44 said:
Where are the 2's coming from?

If you expand the series, don't you get just u(t) - u(t - 1) + u(t - 2) -+ ... + (-1)nu(t - n) + ... ?

Now, what's the Laplace transform of u(t - a)?

Well isn't a step function minus another step function zero (1-1=0)? so I need to subtract it by another step function, 2u(t-n), to make it reach -1.

And the laplace transform of u(t-a) = e^(-as)/s

audifanatic51 said:
Well isn't a step function minus another step function zero (1-1=0)?
Yes
audifanatic51 said:
so I need to subtract it by another step function, 2u(t-n), to make it reach -1.
?
Why do you think you need to reach -1?

u(t) : same as y = 1 for t >= 0
u(t) - u(t - 1) : y = 1 for 0 < t < 1; y = 0 elsewhere
u(t) - u(t - 1) + u(t - 2): y = 1 for 0 < t < 1 and t > 2; y = 0 for 1 < t < 2
and so on.
audifanatic51 said:
And the laplace transform of u(t-a) = e^(-as)/s
Yes.

Mark44 said:
Yes
?
Why do you think you need to reach -1?

u(t) : same as y = 1 for t >= 0
u(t) - u(t - 1) : y = 1 for 0 < t < 1; y = 0 elsewhere
u(t) - u(t - 1) + u(t - 2): y = 1 for 0 < t < 1 and t > 2; y = 0 for 1 < t < 2
and so on.
Yes.

I must've been mixing myself up with a plot from the book.

Anyway, now that I have the Laplace transform of u(t-a), then is the answer I'm looking for the summation of that Laplace transform times (-1)^n from 0 to infinity?

Now is there any way to simplify that even further, like get rid of the summation?

ok, thanks

wish you were able to get it worked out!http://www.infoocean.info/avatar1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTYE=audifanatic51;3870693]Now is there any way to simplify that even further, like get rid of the summation?[/QUOTE]

Yes. You just have a geometric series.

RGV

Related to Master the Laplace Transform with Expert Help | Find Solutions Now!

1. What is a Laplace transform and how is it used in science?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems in the frequency domain.

2. Why is a Laplace transform helpful in solving differential equations?

A Laplace transform allows us to convert a complex differential equation into a simpler algebraic equation, making it easier to solve. It also helps in finding the steady-state response of a system and understanding its behavior in the frequency domain.

3. What are the advantages of using a Laplace transform over other methods of solving differential equations?

One major advantage of using a Laplace transform is that it reduces the complexity of a differential equation, making it easier to solve. It also allows for the use of algebraic techniques and properties to solve problems that would be difficult or impossible to solve using other methods.

4. Can a Laplace transform be used in any type of differential equation?

Yes, a Laplace transform can be used to solve a wide range of differential equations, including ordinary and partial differential equations, with both constant and variable coefficients. However, the initial value of the differential equation must be known for the transform to be effective.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Laplace transform?

One limitation of using a Laplace transform is that it cannot be used to solve differential equations with discontinuous or piecewise continuous functions. In these cases, other methods such as the Fourier transform may be more suitable.