Master Matrix Multiplication: Solving Size Confusion | Homework Help

In summary, the lecturer is trying to show how to find the size of a new matrix using the equation AX=B, but he only shows how to do it for a vector. He does not show how to do it for a matrix.
DiamondV

Homework Statement

Well, basically my issue isn't exactly with how to multiply matrices. I know how to do that, my issue is the way my lecturer shows how to find the size of the new matrix, this is all that he shows:
e6e8784ec7.png

I mean how is he getting AX to be a 3x1 matrix?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to do matrix multiplication, the number of columns of the first matrix must fit the number of rows of the second and this goes by definition. Then what specifies the dimensions of the new matrix, is the number of rows of the first and the number of columns of the second.

DiamondV said:

Homework Statement

Well, basically my issue isn't exactly with how to multiply matrices. I know how to do that, my issue is the way my lecturer shows how to find the size of the new matrix, this is all that he shows:
e6e8784ec7.png

I mean how is he getting AX to be a 3x1 matrix?
You said above that you know how to multiply matrices. If you calculate AX, with A and X as shown in the image, what do you get?
Possibly your problem is not understanding that vectors are special cases of matrices, with only one row (row vector) or one column (column vector).

The vector/matrix X shown here is a column vector, with three rows and one column; i.e., a 3 X 1 matrix.
DiamondV said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the only definition of matrix multiplication I have ever been aware of, so I am not sure what you mean that you know how to multiply matrices.
Here is a website with arrows and pictures.
https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/matrix-multiplying.html

Recommend: move to precalculus forum.

RUber said:
Recommend: move to precalculus forum.
Done...

Likes RUber

Related to Master Matrix Multiplication: Solving Size Confusion | Homework Help

What is matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying two matrices to create a new matrix. It is an important concept in linear algebra and is used in various fields of science and engineering.

How do you multiply matrices?

To multiply two matrices, the number of columns in the first matrix must be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. Then, multiply each element in the first row of the first matrix by each element in the first column of the second matrix. Repeat this process for each row and column combination, and add the products to get the corresponding element in the resulting matrix.

Why is matrix multiplication important?

Matrix multiplication is important because it allows us to perform operations on complex systems and data sets. It is used in computer graphics, machine learning, physics, and many other areas of science and engineering.

What is the difference between matrix multiplication and scalar multiplication?

The main difference between matrix multiplication and scalar multiplication is the number of operands involved. Matrix multiplication involves two matrices, while scalar multiplication involves a single matrix and a single number (scalar). Additionally, matrix multiplication follows a specific set of rules, while scalar multiplication is simply multiplying each element in the matrix by the scalar.

What are some real-world applications of matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication has many real-world applications, such as image and signal processing, data encryption, and network analysis. It is also used in finance for portfolio optimization and in economics for modeling supply and demand systems. Additionally, matrix multiplication is used in engineering for solving systems of linear equations and in physics for calculating the effects of transformations and rotations.