Mass revolving around a vertical axis

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tension forces in a system with two strings, a mass, and centripetal force, and derives equations for the x and y components of the tensions. The final result is T1 = mg/sin(θ) - (-mω^2)/cos(θ), where θ is the angle of the two strings with respect to the horizontal.
Astrum

Homework Statement

Problem in the attachment

Homework Equations

-r(dθ/dt)^2= Centripetal force
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

The tension force will be cut into two parts.
I split the distance between the two strings into two sections, so the distance "r" to the mass can be defined as "L^2 - (d/2)^2 = r^2" where d is the total distance between the strings, and r is the distance to the mass.
[itex]F_{x}= -m\omega^{2}; F_{y} = -mg[/itex]

The centripetal force will be divided by the two strings intuitively, but I'm not sure how to actually go about it mathematically. The two forces are already in their most basic component forms.

So, I have no idea how to deal with the vectors mathematically.

N.B. Sorry about the title, forgot to finish it =/

Attachments

• o_64b045590032dc09-1.jpg
    o_64b045590032dc09-1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Astrum said:
[itex]F_{x}= -m\omega^{2};[/itex]
You left something out.
Let Tup, Tdown be the tensions. What equations can you write relating those to Fx and Fy?

haruspex said:
You left something out.
Let Tup, Tdown be the tensions. What equations can you write relating those to Fx and Fy?

I'm not sure what you mean. There are four forces involved. T1, T2, centripetal force and gravity.

The the two forces that are at a weird angle is the two tensions. The two tensions are both at a 45 degree angle from centripetal force.

Do you mean to rewrite it as: Fx= -mrω2+Tx1+Tx2=0
Fy= -mg + T1y+T2y=0

Split the two tensions into an x and y component?

Astrum said:
Fx= -mrω2+Tx1+Tx2=0
You defined Fx as a centripetal force. That means it is a resultant of other forces, so you should write -mrω2=Tx1+Tx2
Fy= -mg + T1y+T2y=0
That's ok, but now you have four unknowns. What equations derive Tx1 and Ty1 from T1?

T1x= T1cosθ, T1y=T1sinθ the same goes for T2

-mω2 = T1cosθ + T2cosθ
-mg + T2sinθ + T2sinθ = 0

Now I can solve the system of equations? Or am I missing something? :confused:

Astrum said:

-mω2 = T1cosθ + T2cosθ
Be careful with the signs. You are taking upward as positive. Which ways do the two tensions act in the vertical sense?

haruspex said:
Astrum said:

-mω2 = T1cosθ + T2cosθ
Be careful with the signs. You are taking upward as positive. Which ways do the two tensions act in the vertical sense?
-mg - T2sinθ + T1sinθ = 0

The second string will be downward. String 1 will have a positive y tension component, because it's balancing the y component from gravity.

So, solving the system, I get: [tex]T_{1}=\frac{mg}{sin(\theta)}-\frac{-m \omega^{2}}{cos(\theta)}[/tex]

Does that look right?

Astrum said:
Does that look right?
Yes.

Related to Mass revolving around a vertical axis

What is "Mass revolving around a vertical axis"?

"Mass revolving around a vertical axis" refers to the motion of an object around a fixed point that is oriented vertically, such as a pole or axis of rotation.

How is the motion of mass around a vertical axis different from other types of motion?

The motion of mass around a vertical axis is different from other types of motion because it follows a circular path instead of a straight line, and the direction of the motion is constantly changing.

What causes mass to revolve around a vertical axis?

The force of gravity is the main cause of mass revolving around a vertical axis. This force pulls the object towards the center of the axis, causing it to follow a circular path.

What factors affect the speed of mass revolving around a vertical axis?

The speed of mass revolving around a vertical axis is affected by the distance from the center of the axis, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity. The closer the object is to the axis, the faster it will revolve, and the larger the mass of the object, the slower it will revolve.

What are some real-life examples of mass revolving around a vertical axis?

Some examples of mass revolving around a vertical axis include a spinning top, a merry-go-round, a spinning bike wheel, and the Earth rotating around its axis.