Mass on Pulley problem need to find angular acceleration

In summary: That's all there is to it. I have showed it in both notations, first with limits and then slightly on the right with ##\frac{d}{dt}## notation. I am assuming you have studied basic calculus, otherwise I wouldn't be talking about limits and derivatives.If you could be a little bit more clear maybe I could clear your doubt, what is it that confuses you about these...?I'm sorry. I understand the calculations and I do understand derivatives but I'm not sure I understand the notation. What does α stand for and what does the Δωstand for?I'm sorry. I understand the calculations and I do understand derivatives but I
nickb145

Homework Statement

A string is wrapped around a pulley of radius 3.45cm , and a weight hangs from the other end. The weight falls with a constant acceleration 3.00m/s2 .

What's the angular acceleration of the pulley?

Homework Equations

i'm writing out the equations i would think that are involved.

a=Δw/Δt
Centripital force Fr=mv^2/R ( i think)
Newtons second law
ω=ωi+at

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just so stuck...and don't know how to start.
I drew out a free body diagram and Drew out the forces for the mass and pulley

For the mass all i have is the Tension and mg. there is no weight for the pully so all i have is tension

I would need to sum the forces right?

Physics news on Phys.org
nickb145 said:

Homework Statement

A string is wrapped around a pulley of radius 3.45cm , and a weight hangs from the other end. The weight falls with a constant acceleration 3.00m/s2 .

What's the angular acceleration of the pulley?

Homework Equations

i'm writing out the equations i would think that are involved.

a=Δw/Δt
Centripital force Fr=mv^2/R ( i think)
Newtons second law
ω=ωi+at

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just so stuck...and don't know how to start.
I drew out a free body diagram and Drew out the forces for the mass and pulley

For the mass all i have is the Tension and mg. there is no weight for the pully so all i have is tension

I would need to sum the forces right?
Consider a portion of the string wrapped around the pulley. When the mass falls a distance x, what is the corresponding angular displacement of the pulley?

CAF123 said:
Consider a portion of the string wrapped around the pulley. When the mass falls a distance x, what is the corresponding angular displacement of the pulley?

that would be 2∏

nickb145 said:
that would be 2π
No, that's not right. ##2π## means whatever distance ##x## hanging mass falls, the pulley would complete one revolution, that doesn't sound right, does it?... Think again.

$$Δθ=\frac{x}{R}$$

all need to do from here on is to differentiate it twice, then you'll have the relation between angular and linear acceleration.

NihalSh said:
$$Δθ=\frac{x}{R}$$

all need to do from here on is to differentiate it twice, then you'll have the relation between angular and linear acceleration.
Yes, correct.

NihalSh said:
No, that's not right. ##2π## means whatever distance ##x## hanging mass falls, the pulley would complete one revolution, that doesn't sound right, does it?... Think again.

$$Δθ=\frac{x}{R}$$

Akk.. I didn't read that correctly

SO if i understand this To get the angular displacement i need to take the constant acceleration and divide it by radius (in meteres .0345) then i can find angular acceleration?

Sorry for the stupid questions :(

nickb145 said:
SO if i understand this To get the angular displacement i need to take the constant acceleration and divide it by radius (in meteres .0345) then i can find angular acceleration?

Sorry for the stupid questions :(

Yes!

$$a=αR$$

NihalSh said:
Yes!

$$a=αR$$

Ok!

So according to my book Angular acceleration is

α= Δω/ΔT I would think that wouldn't be right because i don't know the time.

but aside from my own thoughts and use a=αR is R the Angular displacement? If so, multiply it by the acceleration. then convert it to rad/s^2

If not, please correct me.

that makes no sense, hold on let me think it out. i need to find the angular velocity i think...but how do i find the time...

Last edited:
nickb145 said:
Ok!

So according to my book Angular acceleration is

α= Δω/ΔT I would think that wouldn't be right because i don't know the time.

but aside from my own thoughts and use a=αR is R the Angular displacement? If so, multiply it by the acceleration. then convert it to rad/s^2

If not, please correct me.
Your book is perfectly right. R is, in this case, radius of pulley.

$$ω=\frac{v}{R}$$
$$α= \frac{Δω}{ΔT}=\frac{1}{R}*\frac{Δv}{ΔT}=lim_{ΔT→0} (\frac{1}{R}*\frac{Δv}{ΔT})=\frac{1}{R}*(lim_{ΔT→0} (\frac{Δv}{ΔT}))=\frac{a}{R}$$

nickb145 said:
that makes no sense, hold on let me think it out. i need to find the angular velocity i think...but how do i find the time...

Your question asked you to find angular acceleration, there is no mention of angular velocity!

Likes 1 person
NihalSh said:
Your book is perfectly right. R is, in this case, radius of pulley.

$$ω=\frac{v}{R}$$
$$α= \frac{Δω}{ΔT}=\frac{1}{R}*\frac{Δv}{ΔT}=lim_{ΔT→0} (\frac{1}{R}*\frac{Δv}{ΔT})=\frac{1}{R}*(lim_{ΔT→0} (\frac{Δv}{ΔT}))=\frac{a}{R}$$

Your question asked you to find angular acceleration, there is no mention of angular velocity!

you're right. just thinking 'out loud' i guess.

sorry I'm kind of confused by this: could you explain it? My mind will probably kick into gear

nickb145 said:
you're right. just thinking 'out loud' i guess.

sorry I'm kind of confused by this: could you explain it? My mind will probably kick into gear

look in the original post I mentioned, ##θ=\frac{x}{R}##...this is the definition of angle in radians. ##x## is the length of arc of the given circle. Like I said previously, differentiating it twice would give you the required relation ##a=αR##. You could view the above calculations as following:
$$Δθ=\frac{Δx}{R}$$
$$ω_{average}=\frac{Δθ}{Δt}=\frac{1}{R}*\frac{Δx}{Δt}$$
$$ω_{instantaneous}=lim_{Δt→0} (\frac{Δθ}{Δt})=lim_{Δt→0} (\frac{1}{R}*\frac{Δx}{Δt})=\frac{1}{R}*(lim_{Δt→0} (\frac{Δx}{Δt}))=\frac{dθ}{dt}=\frac{1}{R}*\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{v}{R}$$
$$Δω=\frac{Δv}{R}$$
$$α_{average}= \frac{Δω}{Δt}=\frac{1}{R}*\frac{Δv}{Δt}$$
$$α_{instantaneous}= lim_{Δt→0} (\frac{Δω}{Δt})=lim_{Δt→0} (\frac{1}{R}*\frac{Δv}{Δt})=\frac{1}{R}*(lim_{Δt→0} (\frac{Δv}{Δt}))=\frac{dω}{dt}=\frac{1}{R}*\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{a}{R}$$

##lim## are used to define derivatives. That's all there is to it. I have showed it in both notations, first with limits and then slightly on the right with ##\frac{d}{dt}## notation. I am assuming you have studied basic calculus, otherwise I wouldn't be talking about limits and derivatives.

If you could be a little bit more clear maybe I could clear your doubt, what is it that confuses you about these equations?

Last edited:
Ak sorry! But yes i was thinking of the other question that my HW was asking me. Which in this case was asking for the angular velocity of the pully when the Mass was 1.3m above the ground.

But i have the angular acceleration, and thank you for the assistance!
But I'm still trying to figure out the angular velocity

nickb145 said:
Ak sorry! But yes i was thinking of the other question that my HW was asking me. Which in this case was asking for the angular velocity of the pully when the Mass was 1.3m above the ground.

But i have the angular acceleration, and thank you for the assistance!
But I'm still trying to figure out the angular velocity

EDIT: I think i found the time 1.3=gt2/2 which is t=.5150787
now i plug it into ω=(angular acceleration) x Time and i get 44.81 but it says that it isn't right.

suggestions?

nickb145 said:
EDIT: I think i found the time 1.3=gt2/2 which is t=.5150787
now i plug it into ω=(angular acceleration) x Time and i get 44.81 but it says that it isn't right.

suggestions?

how did you find time? and time for what?...I think you haven't mentioned some remaining part of the question. Because according to the information in the original post, there is no way and no need to find time. and even if there is finding time for what?

I needed to find angular velocity. But i did figure it out

Last edited:
nickb145 said:
I needed to find angular velocity. But i did figure it out
It's always better to mention the whole question for completeness. I can't help any further in solving for angular velocity, without knowing the complete question. But since you have figured it out, its no problem.

No problem, thank you for the help though.

I sort of mentioned the second question as "Which in this case was asking for the angular velocity of the pully when the Mass was 1.3m above the ground."

nickb145 said:
No problem, thank you for the help though.

I sort of mentioned the second question as "Which in this case was asking for the angular velocity of the pully when the Mass was 1.3m above the ground."

There should be initial height given to solve for that.

the initial height is 1.3 final is 0. It asks to find the angular velocity of the pully when the block hits the ground. Thats at least how i solved it

nickb145 said:
the initial height is 1.3 final is 0. It asks to find the angular velocity of the pully when the block hits the ground. Thats at least how i solved it

you can find the velocity of block since acceleration is given. Then relating angular and linear speed, you can solve for angular speed.

Assuming initial velocity is zero:
$$v=\sqrt{2.a.Δx}$$
$$v=ω.R$$

Edit: There is absolutely no need to solve for time!

Related to Mass on Pulley problem need to find angular acceleration

1. What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove along its circumference. A rope or belt is looped around the groove, and when one end of the rope is pulled, it causes the pulley to rotate. This allows for the transfer of force and motion from one point to another, making it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

2. How is mass on a pulley related to angular acceleration?

The mass on a pulley affects the angular acceleration because it determines the amount of torque (rotational force) being applied to the pulley. The greater the mass, the greater the torque and therefore the greater the angular acceleration.

3. What is the equation for calculating angular acceleration in a mass on pulley problem?

The equation for calculating angular acceleration in a mass on pulley problem is α = (m2g - m1g)r / (m1r^2 + m2r^2 + I), where m1 and m2 are the masses on either side of the pulley, r is the radius of the pulley, and I is the moment of inertia of the pulley.

4. How does friction affect the angular acceleration in a mass on pulley problem?

Friction can have a significant impact on the angular acceleration in a mass on pulley problem. If there is friction present between the pulley and the rope, it will create a resistance to the motion of the pulley, decreasing the angular acceleration. On the other hand, if there is friction between the pulley and its axis of rotation, it can cause the pulley to rotate more easily, increasing the angular acceleration.

5. Can the direction of angular acceleration change in a mass on pulley problem?

Yes, the direction of angular acceleration can change in a mass on pulley problem. This can occur if there is a change in the net torque being applied to the pulley, such as if the masses on either side of the pulley are unequal or if there is a change in friction. The direction of angular acceleration is always in the same direction as the net torque acting on the pulley.