Mass of Box A vs Box B with Photon Inside

In summary, the conversation discusses two boxes with equal frequency photons inside, but with different side lengths. It is mentioned that the photon increases the mass of the boxes and that the size of the box does not affect this increase, but the energy of the photon does. It is also mentioned that the mass of the box only increases if the photon becomes absorbed by the box material instead of being reflected.
JasonWuzHear
Imagine you have two boxes, each with a photon of equal frequency inside the boxes. The boxes, however, have different side lengths (yet, the boxes on their own are equal in mass).

Wavelength of photon << Length of Box A < Length of Box B

I've seen that a photon increases the mass of the boxes. Do these boxes with the photon inside have the same mass?

I was thinking that if you make the box very very large, then photon bounces become less frequent, almost to the point where there will be long periods where the photon has not bounced inside. This would make it look like the larger box has less of 'something'.

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess is as follows, but I'm prepared to be contradicted:

In the case of both boxes, while the photon is bouncing around, (in existence), it hasn't increased the mass of the box.
The mass of the box only increases if the photon becomes absorbed by the box material instead of being reflected.
I don't think the size of the box makes any difference to that increase, however the energy of the photon (it's wavelength) does make a difference.

Last edited:
Likes JasonWuzHear
If you define the 'mass of the box' to mean mass excluding contents, then, obviously, neither box changes mass until the photon has an inelastic interaction with a box. However, for the mass of the system of box plus photon, the two masses are identical, and bouncing is irrelevant.

Likes JasonWuzHear

Related to Mass of Box A vs Box B with Photon Inside

1. What is the difference between the mass of Box A and Box B with a photon inside?

The difference in mass between Box A and Box B with a photon inside is negligible. The mass of a photon is incredibly small, approximately 2.2 x 10^-18 grams. Therefore, the difference in mass between the two boxes would be too small to measure.

2. Does a photon add mass to an object?

No, a photon does not add mass to an object. Photons have no rest mass and therefore cannot contribute to the overall mass of an object.

3. How do the masses of Box A and Box B change when a photon is added?

The masses of Box A and Box B do not change when a photon is added. The mass of a photon is too small to affect the overall mass of the two boxes.

4. Why is the mass of a photon important in this experiment?

The mass of a photon is important in this experiment because it helps us understand the concept of mass-energy equivalence. Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, shows that energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into one another. The mass of a photon is a representation of its energy.

5. Is the mass of a photon constant?

Yes, the mass of a photon is constant and does not change. The mass of a photon is determined by its frequency and wavelength, which are constant properties of the photon. Therefore, the mass of a photon remains constant regardless of its environment or speed.