Mass of a weight attached to a body

In summary: So you can use the equations I gave you to find an equation for m in terms of M and g. Then you need to solve for m so that the static friction force between the mass m and the surface is just equal to the maximum possible value. What is the maximum possible value of the static friction force?In summary, we need to find the mass m of the weight attached to a wooden body with mass M=4kg so that the wooden body begins to move on a horizontal surface with coefficient of friction μ=0.2. To solve this, we can use the equations of forces and set the total sum of forces on the weight greater than those on the wooden body. This will give us an unknown value for the
AndrejN96

Homework Statement

A weight is attached to a wooden body with mass M=4kg lying on a horizontal surface. The coefficient of friction is μ=0.2. What is the mass m of the weight so that the wooden body is moving?

Image:
gwjxVCd.png

Homework Equations

Equations of forces

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried drawing all the forces that apply on both bodies and then make an inequality where the total sum of the forces applying on the weight is bigger than the ones on the wooden body, but I get an unknown value for the acceleration. Help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi AndrejN96. Welcome to Physics Forums.

The problem statement isn't clear. Is this the exact wording? If not, please provide the exact wording.

Chet

AndrejN96 said:
I tried drawing all the forces that apply on both bodies and then make an inequality where the total sum of the forces applying on the weight is bigger than the ones on the wooden body, but I get an unknown value for the acceleration. Help would be appreciated.
The approach looks good. To see what went wrong, please show your full work here.

Chestermiller said:
Hi AndrejN96. Welcome to Physics Forums.

The problem statement isn't clear. Is this the exact wording? If not, please provide the exact wording.

Chet
Hi, yes this is the exact wording, as taken from a college exam, just translated to English.
mfb said:
The approach looks good. To see what went wrong, please show your full work here.
This is what I'm currently at: http://i.imgur.com/TDftcan.png

I've gathered the sums of the forces by x and y-axis of the two objects as presented to us in class and now I am unsure how to continue.

I'm going to make some guesses about this problem statement, which has probably lost some things in the translation.

1. The coefficient of friction that is given is the coefficient of static friction
2. The question should read: What is the mass m of the weight so that the wooden body just begins to move?

So I think we are dealing with a static friction problem here, and the system is in static equilibrium, but on the verge of moving.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I'm going to make some guesses about this problem statement, which has probably lost some things in the translation.

1. The coefficient of friction that is given is the coefficient of static friction
2. The question should read: What is the mass m of the weight so that the wooden body just begins to move?

So I think we are dealing with a static friction problem here, and the system is in static equilibrium, but on the verge of moving.

Chet
You're probably correct. I am unsure as what the terminology is in English as translating it literally from my language just makes no sense. I did manage to solve it myself though, solving for acceleration and then finding values for m so that a>0.

The problem asks us to find the 'm' at which wooden block begins to move. In such types of problem the acceleration of the system tends to be zero.
So you equations should be
##f_{t}=T##
and ##T=mg##
Can you find ##m## from here?

Satvik Pandey said:
The problem asks us to find the 'm' at which wooden block begins to move. In such types of problem the acceleration of the system tends to be zero.
So you equations should be
##f_{t}=T##
and ##T=mg##
Can you find ##m## from here?
Oh, so the acceleration should be zero at that point?

Just before the block begins to slide (but is still not moving), the acceleration is zero, yes.

Related to Mass of a weight attached to a body

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass refers to the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is a constant property of an object, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

What is the unit of measurement for mass?

The standard unit of measurement for mass is the kilogram (kg). Other common units include grams (g) and pounds (lbs).

How is the mass of a weight attached to a body determined?

The mass of a weight attached to a body is determined by measuring the force of gravity acting on the object and using the formula F=ma (force = mass x acceleration) to calculate the mass. It can also be measured directly using a scale or balance.

Does the mass of a weight attached to a body affect its motion?

Yes, the mass of a weight attached to a body does affect its motion. Objects with a greater mass require more force to move and will have a slower acceleration compared to objects with a smaller mass.

Why is it important to know the mass of a weight attached to a body?

Knowing the mass of a weight attached to a body is important in understanding the behavior of the object. It can also help in making predictions about its movement, stability, and interactions with other objects.