Mass hanging from the roof of a moving truck. Newtons laws.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the tension force in a string at a 22 degree angle and the corresponding acceleration. The equations Fg=mg, Ft=ma, Ftx=Ftsin(22), and Fty=Ftcos(22) are mentioned, along with the need for an additional equation and potential confusion when dealing with net acceleration. The conclusion is that the vertical component of the tension force is equal to the force of gravity, while the horizontal component causes acceleration in the forward direction.
cmwilli

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/7341/capturehzm.jpg

Homework Equations

Fg=mg
Ft=ma
Ftx=Ftsin(22)
Fty=Ftcos(22)
Fg-Fty=? I realize this is probably required but I don't know where.

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the acceleration the question is asking for is the acceleration on the tension force but I have no idea how to figure that out. I also believe I am missing an equation to substitute something else into.

The don't have a problem with static problems because you can always set something to zero but when there is net acceleration I just get confused.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The vertical component of the tension in the string = mg
The horizontal component accelerates the mass forwards.

Related to Mass hanging from the roof of a moving truck. Newtons laws.

1. How does the mass hanging from the roof of a moving truck affect its acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, the mass hanging from the roof of a moving truck will increase its overall mass and decrease its acceleration.

2. Will the mass hanging from the roof of a moving truck affect its speed?

Yes, the mass hanging from the roof of the truck will affect its speed. According to Newton's first law of motion, an object in motion will stay in motion at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. Therefore, the added mass will require more force to maintain the same speed, resulting in a decrease in the truck's overall speed.

3. How does the mass hanging from the roof of a moving truck affect its stability?

The added mass will affect the truck's stability by altering its center of mass. As the center of mass shifts higher due to the hanging mass, the truck may become more prone to tipping over. This can be especially dangerous when taking sharp turns or driving at high speeds.

4. Will the mass hanging from the roof of a moving truck affect its fuel efficiency?

Yes, the added mass will result in the truck using more fuel to maintain its speed. According to Newton's third law of motion, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that the truck's engine will need to exert more energy to overcome the added mass and maintain its speed, resulting in decreased fuel efficiency.

5. Is it safe to have a mass hanging from the roof of a moving truck?

It is not recommended to have a mass hanging from the roof of a moving truck as it can significantly impact the truck's stability and handling. It can also pose a safety hazard for other drivers on the road. It is important to ensure that any cargo in a moving truck is properly secured to avoid any accidents or damage.