Mass conservation in a conical tank

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an open conical tank being filled with water and the use of the Torricelli equation to calculate the water flow. The speaker shares their solution using mass conservation law and questions the difference in their solution compared to the professor's solution. The professor's solution includes an extra term that accounts for the volume of the cone projected below the hole opening. The conversation ends with the speaker mentioning that the difference is insignificant if the hole is small.
sandmike_83
Good Morning to all

I saw this problem in one of the courses that I am taking this semester. It is very simple, it consists of an open conical tank being filled in the upper part with an stream (which is assumed to be cylindrical) of water (flow Qi through an area Ai). At the bottom of the tank there is an opening (Ae) through which the water leaves the tank, following the torricelli equation: Qe=Ae*SQRT(2*g*h)

h being the water level in the tank measured from the lower part.

I was solving the problem using mass conservation law for control volume using fixed and deformable boundaries (to exercise a bit the control volume approach), and for both cases I got the same solution:
(Derivative of the volume of the cone with time)=(flow in)-(flow out)
d( (1/3)*Pi*(r^2)*h)/dt=Qe-Qout

However, if you see the pdf attached the professor's solution is a bit different, and there is an extra term (dh/dt)*Ai.

What is your opinion about it? What did I do wrong?

Thanks in advance

PS. I didn't post this topic under homework because I didn't got this problem as homework, I just saw it in the course notes and I wanted to do the derivation on my own to see If I got the same result.

Attachments

• Conical_Tank_Filling.pdf
    51.3 KB · Views: 362
Physics news on Phys.org
If the hole is small, the difference is insignificant. He just subtracted the volume of the cone projected below the hole opening.

Related to Mass conservation in a conical tank

1. How does mass conservation apply to a conical tank?

The principle of mass conservation states that mass cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In a conical tank, the amount of mass entering and leaving the tank must be equal in order to maintain mass conservation.

2. What factors affect mass conservation in a conical tank?

The diameter and height of the tank, the rate of inflow and outflow, and the shape and size of the cone all affect mass conservation in a conical tank. Any changes in these factors can impact the amount of mass in the tank and its rate of change.

3. Can mass conservation be violated in a conical tank?

No, mass conservation is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. Any apparent violations of mass conservation in a conical tank are likely due to measurement errors or unaccounted factors.

4. How can we calculate the rate of change of mass in a conical tank?

The rate of change of mass in a conical tank can be calculated using the formula: dM/dt = A * dh/dt, where dM/dt is the rate of change of mass, A is the cross-sectional area of the tank, and dh/dt is the rate of change of height of the liquid in the tank.

5. What are some practical applications of mass conservation in conical tanks?

Mass conservation in conical tanks is important in industries such as chemical processing, water treatment, and food production. It is also applicable in everyday scenarios, such as filling up a water pitcher or draining a bathtub. Understanding and applying mass conservation allows for efficient use of resources and prevents waste.