Mass and linear absorption coefficients of air for Cr K(alpha) X-rays

In summary, to calculate the mass and linear absorption coefficients of air for Cr K(alpha) radiation, we can use the formula where the index i runs over the components, w_i are the weighing factors for the components, and mu and rho are the absorption coefficient and density for the element i. The densities can be found in standard tabulated materials.
asdf1
for this question:
calculate the mass and linear absorption coefficients of air for Cr K(alpha) radiation. Assume that air contains 80 percent nitrogen and 20 percent oxygen by weight and has a density of 1.29*10^(-3) g/(cm^3)

my problem: i have no idea where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mass absorption coeffs. for mixtures are calculated as
[tex]\frac \mu \rho = \Sigma_i w_i \frac {\mu_i} {\rho_i} [/tex] where the index i runs over the components, w_i are the weighing factors for the components and mu and rho are the abs. coeff and density for the element i.
The linear abs. coeff. is straight forward to get from that.

but the question doesn't give any information about the rho's, so how do you know the values?

Densities are standard tabulated material. Look the up somewhere.

ok, thank you very much!

Related to Mass and linear absorption coefficients of air for Cr K(alpha) X-rays

1. What is the definition of mass absorption coefficient?

The mass absorption coefficient, also known as the mass attenuation coefficient, is a measure of how much a material absorbs X-rays or gamma rays. It is expressed as the ratio of the incident radiation intensity to the transmitted intensity after passing through a certain thickness of the material.

2. Why is the linear absorption coefficient important?

The linear absorption coefficient is important because it quantifies the attenuation of X-rays or gamma rays as they pass through a material. This information is crucial for various applications, including medical imaging, security screening, and material analysis.

3. How is the mass absorption coefficient of air for Cr K(alpha) X-rays determined?

The mass absorption coefficient of air for Cr K(alpha) X-rays is determined through experimental measurements using specialized equipment, such as X-ray spectrometers. The measurements are then compared to theoretical calculations and validated through repeated experiments.

4. What factors can affect the mass and linear absorption coefficients of air for Cr K(alpha) X-rays?

The mass and linear absorption coefficients of air for Cr K(alpha) X-rays can be affected by various factors, including the energy of the incident X-rays, the density and composition of the air, and the geometry of the X-ray beam. Other external factors such as temperature and pressure can also have an impact.

5. How can the mass and linear absorption coefficients of air for Cr K(alpha) X-rays be used in practical applications?

The mass and linear absorption coefficients of air for Cr K(alpha) X-rays can be used in various practical applications, such as determining the thickness of materials, identifying unknown substances through X-ray fluorescence, and calibrating X-ray equipment. It is also important in radiation safety and dose calculations for medical and industrial uses of X-rays.