Mass and Energy: Photons, Energy, and Light Speed

In summary, photons have energy and matter is interchangeable. Mass can't travel at the speed of light because photons have no rest mass.
pnazari
Ok I have some general questions about mass and energy. I was wondering if photons have any energy themselves? And if they do, why is it that energy can travel at the speed of light but mass can not (ie, if they are interchangeable why can't mass travel at light speed). Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Photons can have virtually any energy...But photons do not have rest mass,that's why they always travel at "c" in vacuum.The relativistic mass of the photon (given by Einstein's equation) has nothing to do with its rest mass and hence with its speed...

What do you mean,"energy can travel of the spped of light"...??PHOTON'S ENERGY TRAVELS AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT.It's also valid for any other massless particles...

Daniel.

What I mean is that if photon has energy and it is traveling at c then it's energy is also traveling at c...i don't even know if this is a valid statement...

Yes,in the case of the photon,its energy travels at "c",simply because the photon IS ENERGY.Quantum of energy for the electromagnetic field...

Daniel.

So then if the photon is just energy traveling at c, and since energy and matter are interchangeable, then why is it that matter can't travel at c? That was my original question.

If I understand what you said previously, it is because the photon has zero rest mass?

pnazari said:
So then if the photon is just energy traveling at c, and since energy and matter are interchangeablethen why is it that matter can't travel at c?

Matter which has nonzero rest mass cannot travel at "c".Period.

pnazari said:
If I understand what you said previously, it is because the photon has zero rest mass?

Yes.

Daniel.

pnazari said:
Ok I have some general questions about mass and energy. I was wondering if photons have any energy themselves? And if they do, why is it that energy can travel at the speed of light but mass can not (ie, if they are interchangeable why can't mass travel at light speed). Thanks for your time.
Yes. Photons have energy E = hf. A photon has zero proper mass m0 (aka "rest mass") but a non-zero inertial mass m = p/v = p/c = E/c2. If you'd like to then you can think of light as carrying mass with it.

Pete

Related to Mass and Energy: Photons, Energy, and Light Speed

What is the relationship between mass and energy?

The relationship between mass and energy is described by Albert Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2. This equation states that mass and energy are two forms of the same thing and can be converted into each other. In other words, mass can be converted into energy and vice versa.

What is a photon?

A photon is the smallest unit of light and is considered a particle of energy. It has no mass and travels at the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. Photons are responsible for all electromagnetic radiation, including visible light, radio waves, and x-rays.

How is light speed determined?

The speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, is determined by the laws of physics and is considered a constant in the universe. It is the fastest speed at which anything can travel, and nothing can exceed or even reach this speed. It is determined by the properties of space and time.

How does light travel through space?

Light travels through space as both a wave and a particle. As a wave, it has properties such as frequency and wavelength, which determine its color and energy. As a particle, it is made up of photons that travel in a straight line until they are absorbed or reflected by an object. The speed of light allows it to travel vast distances through space, making it an essential tool in studying the universe.

Can light speed be exceeded?

According to the theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase infinitely, making it impossible to reach or exceed the speed of light. Some theories suggest that wormholes or other phenomena may allow for faster-than-light travel, but these are still hypothetical and have not been proven.