Martingale problem: help writing and equation using the martingale assumptions

The equation for v_s is then obtained by taking the expectation of the last term in the integral, E(v_s) = E(-m_s^* - α(y_s - y_s^*)).In summary, the problem involves a martingale process m_t and an integral equation for x_t using the martingale assumption. The solution involves breaking down the integral into two parts and using the martingale assumption to simplify the equation.
Nyn
Hi,

I have been given this problem and the solution however, neither make sense to me.

[tex]x_t=\int exp(t-s)E(k_s|F_t)ds[/tex]

(the integral is from t to infinity)

where

[tex]k_u=m^d_u-(m^d_u)^*-α(y_u-y_u^*)[/tex] for all u>0

suppose (m_t, t>0) is a martingale, what is an equation for x_t using the martingale assumption for (m_t, t>0).

the solutions say

[tex]E_tk_s^2=m_t+E_t(-m_s^*-α(y_s-y_s^*))=m_t+v_s. thus, x_t=m_t+ \int v_s de[/tex]

So, first off I don't know what the martingale assumptions are a simple google search did not yield any useful results. Secondly I can't seem to follow the math (it's been a while since I have done anything other that simple integration).

I am hoping that someone is familiar with the martingale assumptions and can explain this problem to me-or maybe knows about a cite with a good beginners explanation to the topic.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
The martingale assumption in this problem is that the process m_t is a martingale, which means that it is a stochastic process whose expectation at time t is equal to its value at time t. This means that for all times t, E[m_t] = m_t.Using this assumption, we can rewrite the equation for x_t as follows:x_t = \int exp(t-s)E(k_s|F_t)ds = \int exp(t-s)[m_s + E(-m_s^* - α(y_s - y_s^*))]ds = m_t + \int v_s ds Where v_s is defined as E(-m_s^* - α(y_s - y_s^*)). This is because the martingale assumption implies that the expectation of m_s is equal to its value at time s, so we can rewrite the equation as m_t + the expectation of the remaining terms.

Related to Martingale problem: help writing and equation using the martingale assumptions

What is the Martingale Problem?

The Martingale Problem is a mathematical framework used to model stochastic processes, or random phenomena over time. It is based on the assumption that the expected value of a variable in the future is equal to its current value, given all the information available. In other words, it assumes that the future cannot be predicted by past events.

What are the assumptions of the Martingale Problem?

The Martingale Problem is based on three main assumptions: the process is Markovian, it is adapted to a filtration, and it satisfies a certain integrability condition. These assumptions allow for the prediction of future values based on current information, without being affected by past events.

How is the Martingale Problem used in science?

The Martingale Problem is commonly used in various fields of science, such as finance, economics, and physics, to model and analyze random phenomena. It provides a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems, which can help in decision-making and risk management.

Can you provide an example of the Martingale Problem in action?

An example of the Martingale Problem in action is the stock market. The prices of stocks are influenced by various factors and are constantly changing. However, the Martingale assumption allows for the prediction of future stock prices based on current information, without being affected by past events. This can help investors make informed decisions about buying and selling stocks.

How is the Martingale Problem different from other mathematical models?

The Martingale Problem differs from other mathematical models in that it does not rely on past events to predict future outcomes. Other models, such as autoregressive models, use past data to forecast future values. However, the Martingale Problem is based on the idea that the future is unpredictable and can only be predicted based on current information.