Mars Retrograde Motion in 2009

In summary: The ephemerides are acting strange for Vesta between july 1-30 2011 and Ceres July 1-30 2015.Instead of the right ascension (in degrees counting up) it is counting down. Since the asteroids are rotating counter clockwise like us, why is ra counting down?presumably that would depend upon the chosen observer location (coordinate system origin). Did you make the observer location Sun centered or solar system barycentered rather than Earth-centered?When I pick observer location, I can only pick Earth locations.
Dustinsfl
How can I determine Mars' orbital position in February 2009?

Is there a website that tracks past positions?

By position, I want to know where in its rotation around the Sun it was radians or degrees.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at the JPL Solar System Dynamics web site. You can use the online ephemerides system to find the orbital elements and position for Mars at any time. It may take a bit of reading and understanding of the documentation to determine exactly what you want, but it's definitely worth the effort to learn how to use this tool.

gneill said:
Take a look at the JPL Solar System Dynamics web site. You can use the online ephemerides system to find the orbital elements and position for Mars at any time. It may take a bit of reading and understanding of the documentation to determine exactly what you want, but it's definitely worth the effort to learn how to use this tool.

So I found Mars and it was fine but Vesta and Ceres are weird.

The ephemerides are acting strange for Vesta between July 1-30 2011 and Ceres July 1-30 2015.

Instead of the right ascension (in degrees counting up) it is counting down. Since the asteroids are rotating counter clockwise like us, why is ra counting down?

Last edited:
Dustinsfl said:
The ephemerides are acting strange for Vesta between july 1-30 2011 and Ceres July 1-30 2015.

Instead of the right ascension (in degrees counting up) it is counting down. Since the asteroids are rotating counter clockwise like us, why is ra counting down?

Presumably that would depend upon the chosen observer location (coordinate system origin). Did you make the observer location Sun centered or solar system barycentered rather than Earth-centered?

How do you make it sun center? I couldn't pick that.

When I pick observer location, I can only pick Earth locations.

Dustinsfl said:
How do you make it sun center? I couldn't pick that.

When I pick observer location, I can only pick Earth locations.

It's been a long while since I've used the system, so my memory is hazy. But there should be a way to select any solar system object as the observer position. Barring that, use the coordinates of the Sun at the same instant to determine the Sun-Earth vector and do a bit of vector algebra to shift the coordinates.

gneill said:
It's been a long while since I've used the system, so my memory is hazy. But there should be a way to select any solar system object as the observer position. Barring that, use the coordinates of the Sun at the same instant to determine the Sun-Earth vector and do a bit of vector algebra to shift the coordinates.

I was able to figure it out. It wasn't too user friendly at first.

Thanks.

Dustinsfl said:
So I found Mars and it was fine but Vesta and Ceres are weird.

The ephemerides are acting strange for Vesta between July 1-30 2011 and Ceres July 1-30 2015.

It's called retrograde motion. All of the outer planets do it when the Earth catches and passes them in their orbits. Here is an explanation.

Related to Mars Retrograde Motion in 2009

1. What is the orbital period of Mars?

The orbital period of Mars, also known as its year, is approximately 687 Earth days.

2. How far is Mars from the Sun?

The average distance between Mars and the Sun is about 142 million miles (228 million kilometers).

3. What is the closest distance between Mars and Earth?

The closest distance between Mars and Earth can vary depending on their positions in their respective orbits. On average, it is about 34.8 million miles (56.2 million kilometers).

4. How does the tilt of Mars' orbit affect its seasons?

Mars has a tilt of 25 degrees, which is similar to Earth's tilt. This tilt, combined with its elliptical orbit, causes Mars to experience distinct seasons like Earth does.

5. Can Mars ever be closer to the Sun than Earth?

Yes, due to the elliptical nature of their orbits, there are times when Mars can be closer to the Sun than Earth. However, Earth's orbit is more circular, so it is generally closer to the Sun on average.