Marion and Thornton Dynamics Problems

• Thread starter MARX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a system involving two blocks connected by a string, with one block on a smooth surface and the other hanging over the side. The potential energy of the system is calculated and there is a discussion about a sign ambiguity and the use of integration boundaries. The expert advises against using integrals and suggests defining the positive direction as downward to simplify the calculation.
MARX

Homework Statement

PROBLEM 7-10[/B]
Two blocks, each of mass M, are connected by an extensionless, uniform string of length l. One block is placed on a smooth horizontal surface, and the other block hangs over the side, the string passing over a frictionless pulley. Describe the motion of the system when the string has a mass m.

Homework Equations

L = T -U

The Attempt at a Solution

NOT HOMEWORK I AM SELF LEARNING
I did solve this question but I have a sign ambiguity in U
U= -Mgy- ∫ (m/l)dy*g*y
in the solutions second term in Lagrangian is negative
mine positive
where did I go wrong isit because U = -W and my integral represents work (∫ F.dx) so I have to flip sign of U
just want to make sure
THanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello again
Note that y upward is positive. So y itself is negative. If they wrote ##U = Mgy - {m\over l}yg{y\over 2} \ ## it might be a bit clearer.
In your case it might have to do with the integration boundaries ?

The integrals are not needed. Express the potential energy in terms of center of mass's height

They did write it the way you said
is the 1/2 factor because the center of mass of the y piece below is at y/2
ok let's define y>0, U = -Mgy+(m/l)*(y)*g*(-y/2) correct?
how about my way-I wanted to integrate F to get U (I am in the habit of calculating things from scratch-to an extent-without memorizing)
my bounds are 0 to y as that dy piece of the rope descended y below x-axis no?

MARX said:
how about my way-I wanted to integrate F to get U (I am in the habit of calculating things from scratch-to an extent-without memorizing)
my bounds are 0 to y as that dy piece of the rope descended y below x-axis no?
BvU said:
Hello again
Note that y upward is positive. So y itself is negative. If they wrote ##U = Mgy - {m\over l}yg{y\over 2} \ ## it might be a bit clearer.
In your case it might have to do with the integration boundaries ?
Helloooo to you as well
and thanks so much for your help

CORRECTION:
my bounds are 0 to -y as that dy piece of the rope descended y BELOW x-axis no?

MARX said:
CORRECTION:
They did write it the way you said. Is the 1/2 factor because the center of mass of the y piece below is at y/2?
Yes.

ok, let's define y>0, U = -Mgy+(m/l)*(y)*g*(-y/2) correct?
Yes.

my bounds are 0 to -y as that dy piece of the rope descended y BELOW x-axis no?
I wouldn't do it that way. Say you define the positive direction to be downward. The top of the string would be at y=0 and the bottom at y=L, where L>0 is the length of the string hanging down. The mass of an infinitesimal piece of the string would be ##dm = (m/l)dy##. If you integrate from y=0 to y=L, then dy>0 and dm>0, which is what you want for a mass. The potential energy of that piece of the string is ##dU = dm\,g (-y)##. The negative sign comes in because you need the potential energy to decrease as y increases. Put it all together and you get
$$U = \int_0^L (-y) g \left(\frac m l \right) dy $$
If you choose the other sign convention so that you integrate from y=0 to y=-L, then dy<0 so you want dm = -(m/l)dy so that dm>0. You no longer need the other minus sign though because the potential energy decreases when y decreases with this sign convention. So you get
$$U = \int_0^{-L} y g \left[-\left(\frac m l \right) dy\right].$$ Note if you change variables from ##y \to u=-y## in this second integral, you get the first integral.

vela said:
Yes.Yes.I wouldn't do it that way. Say you define the positive direction to be downward. The top of the string would be at y=0 and the bottom at y=L, where L>0 is the length of the string hanging down. The mass of an infinitesimal piece of the string would be ##dm = (m/l)dy##. If you integrate from y=0 to y=L, then dy>0 and dm>0, which is what you want for a mass. The potential energy of that piece of the string is ##dU = dm\,g (-y)##. The negative sign comes in because you need the potential energy to decrease as y increases. Put it all together and you get
$$U = \int_0^L (-y) g \left(\frac m l \right) dy $$
If you choose the other sign convention so that you integrate from y=0 to y=-L, then dy<0 so you want dm = -(m/l)dy so that dm>0. You no longer need the other minus sign though because the potential energy decreases when y decreases with this sign convention. So you get
$$U = \int_0^{-L} y g \left[-\left(\frac m l \right) dy\right].$$ Note if you change variables from ##y \to u=-y## in this second integral, you get the first integral.
Amazing great understood thanks so much every time I get a clear cut explanation like this here I know my physics is improving tremendously!
What do you think of this book I am learning mechanics from? good? the problems are tough I like them they enforce understanding!

Likes BvU
From what I've seen it's a good book !

Related to Marion and Thornton Dynamics Problems

1. What is the Marion and Thornton Dynamics Problems?

The Marion and Thornton Dynamics Problems are a set of classic problems in physics and mechanics that are commonly used to demonstrate principles of dynamics and motion. They were first introduced in the textbook "Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems" by Stephen T. Thornton and Jerry B. Marion.

2. What topics do the Marion and Thornton Dynamics Problems cover?

The problems cover a wide range of topics including kinematics, Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy and momentum, rotational motion, and oscillations. They are designed to help students develop a deeper understanding of these fundamental concepts and their application in real-world situations.

3. How are the problems typically solved?

The problems are typically solved using a combination of mathematical equations, principles of mechanics, and physical intuition. They often require students to think critically and creatively to come up with a solution. It is important to carefully consider the given information, draw diagrams, and use appropriate equations to solve the problem.

4. What level of difficulty are the Marion and Thornton Dynamics Problems?

The problems vary in difficulty, but they are generally considered to be challenging. They require a solid understanding of physics and mechanics principles and may require some time and effort to solve. However, with practice and a good understanding of the concepts, they can be solved successfully.

5. How can the Marion and Thornton Dynamics Problems be used in education?

The problems are commonly used in physics and mechanics courses at the high school and college level to help students develop problem-solving skills and deepen their understanding of key concepts. They can also be used as practice problems for exams or as examples in lectures to illustrate specific principles. Additionally, the problems can be adapted for use in engineering and other science courses that involve dynamics and motion.