Many batteries in series (dangerous?)

In summary: I've seen something similar done with 9V cells which clip nicely together in an end-to-end series chain of any arbitrary length.In summary, it is less dangerous than typical 120V household mains, but it could still kill you.
maze
Is it dangerous to put, say, 100 D-cell batteries in series (the type you find in a flashlight)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
That depends on your definition of "danger," I guess. It's less dangerous than typical 120V household mains, but it could still kill you.

- Warren

Last edited:
maze said:
Is it dangerous to put, say, 100 D-cell batteries in series (the type you find in a flashlight)?
Their rating is about 2000 milliamp-hours, so you could light a 100-watt bulb for a few minutes. But it is dangerous to touch both ends at the same time.

What is a reasonable limit where you don't have to worry about dying?

40 volts is generally below the threshold of sensation, with dry skin. Below that, you're generally safe.

- Warren

maze said:
If the cells are ni-cads and fully charged you would have 125 volts DC, and if they are alkaline, you would have 150 volts DC, I believe both would kill a person.:frown:

Thanks all, I will keep this in mind.

I was googling around to find the answer to this, and as a result have another interesting but less practical question. A website claimed that if you have huge bleeding cuts on your hands, then the liquid blood could complete a circuit with much less resistance, thereby electrocuting you with as low as a 6V battery. Is this true?

I don't know about electrocuting (killing) you, but it'd probably hurt like hell. Put a 9V battery on your tongue for a sample.

- Warren

Thats what I thought, but blood vessels travel through the heart on the way from one hand to another, so it seemed possible that it could disrupt the heartbeat rhythm.

There is also a fire and explosion risk if you short circuit them, especially if they are enclosed and so can't cool easily

Are you actually thinking about doing this for something or are you asking this hypothetically? If so may I ask why? There might be better solutions.

chroot said:
I don't know about electrocuting (killing) you, but it'd probably hurt like hell. Put a 9V battery on your tongue for a sample.

- Warren

Ah the tongue voltmeter.Not to be recommended.:bugeye:

Dadface said:
Ah the tongue voltmeter.Not to be recommended.:bugeye:

Here people give advice on some deadly current machine and you are warning against 9V block licking? :rolleyes:

0xDEADBEEF said:
Here people give advice on some deadly current machine and you are warning against 9V block licking? :rolleyes:

Well,I like the taste of chlorine I get after eating a bag of salted peanuts and when I spark up I demonstrate the squeaky pop test for hydrogen.The biggest problem is that the tongue voltmeter is so difficult to calibrate.:wink:

I've seen something similar done with 9V cells which clip nicely together in an end-to-end series chain of any arbitrary length.

Seemed dangerous to me once you got above the safe ELV.

Related to Many batteries in series (dangerous?)

1. Are there any potential dangers associated with connecting multiple batteries in series?

Yes, there are several potential dangers when connecting multiple batteries in series. These include overcharging, overheating, and short circuits.

2. How does connecting batteries in series affect their overall voltage?

Connecting batteries in series increases their overall voltage. For example, if you connect two 1.5V batteries in series, the total voltage will be 3V.

3. Can connecting batteries in series damage my devices?

Yes, it is possible for connecting batteries in series to damage your devices. If the voltage of the batteries is too high for the device, it can cause damage or even a fire hazard.

4. Is it safe to mix different types of batteries in a series connection?

No, it is not safe to mix different types of batteries in a series connection. Different types of batteries may have different voltage and capacity ratings, which can lead to uneven charging and potential damage to the batteries.

5. How can I safely connect multiple batteries in series?

To safely connect multiple batteries in series, you should make sure that all batteries are of the same type, have the same voltage and capacity ratings, and are properly connected in the correct order. It is also important to use caution and follow safety guidelines when handling batteries and connecting them in a series.