Manipulating result of partial fractions

In summary, manipulating partial fractions involves breaking down a complex fraction into smaller fractions with simpler denominators. This technique can be used to solve equations, integrate functions, and evaluate improper integrals. The process involves finding the common denominator, equating the numerators of each fraction, and then simplifying the resulting equation. It is a useful tool in mathematics, particularly in the study of algebra, calculus, and differential equations. By manipulating partial fractions, complex problems can be broken down into more manageable parts and solved using known techniques.
aximus

Homework Statement

Solve this IVP:

y'=(y-9x)^2 ; y(0)=1

Given a hint: Use the substitution v=y-9x and partial fractions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to solve this DE through partial fractions, etc until I ended up at this point

ln (v-3/v+3) = 6x+C

or

(v-3)/(v+3) = Ae^6x (where A = e^C)

I won't show my entire working (unless requested) as the partial fractions and simplification is lengthy, but I know I am correct up to this point as the answers get to this point and then just tell me to use some simple algebraic rearranging to get:

y=9x-v=3(A*exp(6x)+1)/(1-A*exp(6x))

So yeah, I am stuck at manipulating this fraction about and to solve for v (and then y). I'm sure that this involves a very quick manipulation I should know, but it is really bothering me.

Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not difficult to solve that equation for v: multiply both sides of
[tex]\frac{v-3}{v+3}= Ae^{6x}[/tex]
by v+ 3 to get
[tex]v- 3= Ae{6x}(v+ 3}= Ae^{6x}v+ 3Ae^{6x}[/tex]
Now, put everything involving v on the left, everything not involving v on the right:
[tex]v- Ae^{6x}v= 3Ae^{6x}+ 3[/tex]
[tex]v(1- Ae^{6x})= 3(Ae^{6x}+ 1)[/tex]
and divide both sides by [itex]1- Ae^{6x}[/itex]:
[tex]v= 3\frac{Ae^{6x}+ 1}{1- Ae^{6x}}[/tex]

Now, because v= y- 9x,
[tex]y= 9x+ v= 9x+ 3\frac{Ae^{6x}+ 1}{1- Ae^{6x}}[/tex]

Related to Manipulating result of partial fractions

1. What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a method used to break down a rational expression into smaller, simpler fractions. It involves rewriting the rational expression as a sum of simpler fractions with distinct denominators.

2. Why is partial fraction decomposition useful?

This method is useful in solving integration problems, as well as simplifying complex algebraic expressions. It can also help to identify the roots of a polynomial function.

3. How do you manipulate the result of partial fractions?

To manipulate the result of partial fractions, you can use algebraic techniques such as combining like terms, distributing, and factoring. It is important to follow the order of operations and simplify as much as possible.

4. What are the common mistakes made when manipulating the result of partial fractions?

One common mistake is forgetting to check for extraneous solutions. When solving for the constants in the partial fraction decomposition, it is important to check that the resulting fractions are valid for all values of the variable.

Another mistake is not properly simplifying the fractions. It is crucial to simplify as much as possible to avoid errors in the final result.

5. Can you provide an example of manipulating the result of partial fractions?

Yes, for example, if we have the rational expression 4x/(x^2+3x+2), we can use partial fraction decomposition to rewrite it as 2/(x+1) - 2/(x+2). We can then manipulate this result by combining the fractions to get 2x+2/(x+1)(x+2). Finally, we can simplify the expression further to get 2/(x+2).