Manipulate voltage output in transimpedance amp circuit

In summary, the individual has a circuit that is providing too much voltage (4.2V) into their FPGA, which only needs 3V. They believe this is causing anomalies during testing and are wondering if increasing the voltage drop at R80 or using a voltage divider would help bring the voltage down to 3V. The conversation also mentions using a schmitt trigger to prevent oscillation in high-speed logic.
Robismyname
I have a circuit (attached) that is providing too much voltage into my FPGA. I attached the circuit.

The output of the transimpedance amp is sending 4.2V to my FPGA which only needs 3V. I h ave reason to believe that the 4.2V input into the FPGA is causing some weird anomalies to occur while testing my FPGA with 4.2V input from amp. I was wondering if I increase the voltage drop at R80 would that help bring the voltage down to 3V into my FPGA. Or is the voltage output controlled by both R80 and R78?

I just need to understand what it will take to get the output of the amp to be 3V instead of 4.2V

Please advise

Attachments

• amp circuit.jpg
    amp circuit.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 449
Engineering news on Phys.org
Assuming input to FPGA is digital?

R80 is not controlling output voltage of TIA.

I would just use a voltage divider since you are already low pass filtering to 3MHz.

the_emi_guy said:
Assuming input to FPGA is digital?

R80 is not controlling output voltage of TIA.

I would just use a voltage divider since you are already low pass filtering to 3MHz.

its a 4.2 V square wave.

so a voltage divider to the right of C128?

Generally, a series resistor, such as your 1K, will work with the ESD diodes to allow level conversion.
However, high speed logic will typically break into oscillation during extreamly slow rise and fall times. Typically your data sheet will have a maximum rise / fall time quoted.
To get around this, install a schmitt trigger between the analog and logic. As I recall, a 74xx14 will do this and is available as tiny logic.

- Mike

As a scientist, my recommendation would be to first check the specifications of your transimpedance amp and make sure that it is capable of providing a voltage output of 3V. If it is, then adjusting the values of R80 and R78 can help manipulate the voltage output. Increasing the resistance of R80 will decrease the voltage output, but it is important to ensure that the new resistance value does not exceed the maximum input voltage of your FPGA. Additionally, R78 may also need to be adjusted in order to maintain the desired gain of the transimpedance amp. It is important to carefully consider and calculate the effects of changing these resistor values on the overall circuit before making any adjustments. It may also be helpful to consult with a professional or refer to the datasheet of your transimpedance amp for guidance.

Related to Manipulate voltage output in transimpedance amp circuit

1. How does a transimpedance amplifier circuit manipulate voltage output?

A transimpedance amplifier circuit uses a feedback loop to convert a current input into a corresponding voltage output. The feedback loop consists of a resistor and an operational amplifier, which amplifies the voltage to achieve the desired output.

2. What is the purpose of using a transimpedance amplifier circuit?

A transimpedance amplifier circuit is commonly used in electronic devices to convert a current signal into a usable voltage signal. It is also used to amplify weak signals and reduce noise in electronic circuits.

3. How do you select the appropriate resistor for a transimpedance amplifier circuit?

The appropriate resistor for a transimpedance amplifier circuit can be calculated by dividing the desired output voltage by the input current. It is important to select a resistor with a high enough value to avoid loading the input current and affecting the accuracy of the output voltage.

4. Can the voltage output in a transimpedance amplifier circuit be manipulated without changing the input current?

Yes, the voltage output in a transimpedance amplifier circuit can be manipulated by adjusting the feedback resistor or the gain of the operational amplifier. However, it is important to note that changing the gain may also affect the input current.

5. What are some common applications of transimpedance amplifier circuits?

Transimpedance amplifier circuits are commonly used in photodiodes, photomultiplier tubes, and other light sensors. They are also used in communication systems, medical equipment, and scientific instruments to amplify and convert current signals into usable voltage signals.