Biology news on Phys.org
pinball1970 said:
smallpox
I assumed that was the first (and only) when OP announced ”soon another” 😉

• Wow
Likes bhobba and pinball1970
Orodruin said:
I assumed that was the first (and only) when OP announced ”soon another” 😉
Oh! I jumped in there and skipped right past it!

• Informative
Likes bhobba and berkeman

Related to Makoy Samuel Yibi and the Guinea worm

1. Who is Makoy Samuel Yibi?

Makoy Samuel Yibi is a South Sudanese scientist who played a crucial role in the fight against Guinea worm disease in South Sudan.

2. What is Guinea worm disease?

Guinea worm disease, also known as dracunculiasis, is a parasitic infection caused by the nematode Dracunculus medinensis. It is transmitted through contaminated water sources and causes painful skin lesions when the adult worm emerges from the body.

3. How did Makoy Samuel Yibi contribute to the fight against Guinea worm disease?

Makoy Samuel Yibi led efforts to educate communities about the disease, promote safe water practices, and implement control measures such as water filtration. His work helped to significantly reduce the number of Guinea worm cases in South Sudan.

4. What impact did Makoy Samuel Yibi's work have on Guinea worm disease?

Thanks to Makoy Samuel Yibi's efforts, South Sudan achieved a major milestone in 2018 by reporting zero cases of Guinea worm disease. His work has been instrumental in bringing the country closer to eradicating the disease.

5. What challenges remain in the fight against Guinea worm disease?

Despite significant progress, challenges such as reaching remote communities, ensuring sustained funding, and addressing cultural beliefs and practices continue to pose obstacles to the complete eradication of Guinea worm disease.