Making "tabs" in LaTeX for problem sets

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter opus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Sets
In summary, the conversation was about recreating a document in LaTeX and aligning "Factor" and "Solution" after 1.1.1. The solution was to use the code \item before starting a new paragraph in an enumerated list. The conversation also mentioned using blank lines to signify a new paragraph and using math mode to properly align matrices.
opus
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Trying to replicate a document in LaTeX. Not sure how they got the tab or alignment format.
I'm trying to recreate this document in LaTeX, but I'm not sure how they aligned "Factor" and "Solution" after 1.1.1.
Any ideas?
Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 6.58.48 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like the paras with numbers like 1.1.1 are part of an enumerated list, between \begin{enumerate} and \end{enumerate}.

In such a list, numbered items must be preceded by the code \item. The default is to number them as 1, 2, 3 but settings can be changed to show legal style numbering such as is shown above.

If you put a blank line after a numbered item and then start a new para, without starting it with \item, latex will align the left side of the new para with the left side of text of the numbered item above, as you see in the OP.

I think that's what they've done.

Note that a blank line in latex code signifies a new para. It doesn't put a blank line in the output text.

Likes opus
Excellent thank you andrew! That was it exactly. I just did the enumerate and \item[1.1.1]

Ok one more question if it's not too much trouble. This is with the matrices on the bottom. I've tried \~ as well as \sim to go where to the tilde is and neither works.
The former jumbles everything up and even makes a matrix disappear.
The latter looks good but it gets ride of the centering. Any ideas?
\
Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 9.34.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 9.35.09 PM.png

Actually just got it. Had to use math mode for some reason.

Related to Making "tabs" in LaTeX for problem sets

What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting system used for creating professional-looking documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, science, and engineering.

What are "tabs" in LaTeX?

In LaTeX, "tabs" refer to the horizontal spacing between columns in a document. This allows for the alignment of text in a specific format.

How can I make tabs in LaTeX for problem sets?

To make tabs in LaTeX, you can use the tabular environment, which allows you to create a table with columns and rows. Within the tabular environment, you can specify the number of columns, the alignment, and the content of each cell. This can be done using the \begin{tabular} and \end{tabular} commands.

Can I customize the tabs in my LaTeX document?

Yes, you can customize the tabs in your LaTeX document by adjusting the alignment, width, and spacing of the columns. You can also add borders and change the font style within the tabular environment.

Are there any packages or templates for creating tabs in LaTeX?

Yes, there are several packages and templates available for creating tabs in LaTeX, such as the tabularx, booktabs, and longtable packages. These packages provide additional features and options for creating professional-looking tabs in your document.