Making Magnets: Attracting & Repulsing - Questions Answered

• Thread starter Phy6explorer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnets
In summary: Magnets need a magnet to generate the fields, but that magnet doesn't have to be in the same place as the magnet being attracted to. In fact, the Earth's magnetic field is generated by the rotating planet.
Phy6explorer
How are magnets made? I mean how are they made to produce a magnetic field? How are some magnets made to attract and some to repel?

And just to know:-

Does magnetism got some connection with gravity? Because practically we can notice some similarities.I think I am asking an answer to silly question but this stuff has been bothering me for quite a number of days.

Physics news on Phys.org
Magnets can be made but they can also naturally occur.
Magnets that are made are made using coils of wire that make something called a solenoid. There are also electromagnets that can be turned on and off and work much the same way as a solenoid.
All magnets attract and repel at the same time. All magnets have a North and a South pole. If you put two North poles or two South poles together they repel but if you put a North and a South pole together they attract. You may have heard the saying opposites attract. That is the case here.

Magnetism is a different force to gravity.

The most magnetic naturally occurring substance is pure iron.

If you want any more info just ask.

Thanks, but iron is not magnetic is it? Though magnets get attracted to it can we say that it produces a magnetic field ? Can you please tell me how magnets occur naturally? I mean in the case of the man-made one the solenoid is produced by passing an electric current through the coils, but what about the natural ones? Is some natural system in the universe dependent on magnetism?I mean I know that Earth and some of the other planets have a magnetosphere, but is that the reason why magnetism works in the Earth? Does that mean that magnets won't attract in Venus?

Phy6explorer said:
Thanks, but iron is not magnetic is it?
Iron is ferromagnetic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferromagnet

Ferromagnetism is the "normal" form of magnetism with which most people are familiar, as exhibited in horseshoe magnets and refrigerator magnets. It is responsible for most of the magnetic behavior encountered in everyday life. The attraction between a magnet and ferromagnetic material is "the quality of magnetism first apparent to the ancient world, and to us today," according to a classic text on ferromagnetism.[1]

Ferromagnetism is defined as the phenomenon by which materials, such as iron, in an external magnetic field become magnetized and remain magnetized for a period after the material is no longer in the field.
In other words, you can turn an ordinary piece of iron into a magnet and it will stay a magnet for a very long time.

I am not entirely sure as to why iron is magnetic but I think it has something to do with its electron structure.

Magnets are made by exposing material, either powdered under pressure as in a manufactured sintered magnet, or as a predisposed object such as a nail or other ferrous material to a force which aligns their internal structure to impose and retain a magnetic field.

The simplest way is by taking ferro (iron based) magnetic materials such as steel, iron, or it's composits and exposing them to a short, but very intense field as is found in the inside of a solenoid. The strength of the magnet made depends to a great extent on the materials used and their composition.

Please note that not all material is magnetically enhancable. Materials like brass for instance are largely magnetically inert. Others, such as Bismuth, are anti-magnetic. Which is to say that they repel all magnetic fields.

As to your last question about magnetism and gravity, while they share similar properties vis-a-vis attraction over a distance, they are different phenomena.

Phy6explorer said:
Thanks, but iron is not magnetic is it?

I believe that microscopically it is. An untreated piece of iron is probably made of tiny "grains" each of which is a magnet (iirc they are called "magnetic domains"), but these grains are themselves not all aligned with each other. I think a possible method to help the domains order themselves goes through melting and slowly solidify the iron possibly with some external "help" such as a magnetic field to "suggest" the newly-forming domains to form in a certain direction rather than randomly.

(I should definitely go back and pick my old solid state physics book...)

After all, isn't each electron like a small magnet?

Phy6explorer said:
After all, isn't each electron like a small magnet?

As long as it orbits or spins, yes.

Related to Making Magnets: Attracting & Repulsing - Questions Answered

What are magnets made of?

Magnets are typically made of iron, nickel, cobalt, or a combination of these elements. These elements have special properties that allow them to become magnetized and attract or repel other magnets.

How does magnetism work?

Magnetism is caused by the alignment of tiny magnetic fields within a material. In a magnet, these fields are all aligned in the same direction, creating a strong overall magnetic field. When two magnets come near each other, their fields interact and can either attract or repel each other.

Why do magnets attract some objects but not others?

Magnets only attract objects that contain iron, nickel, or cobalt, or are made of a material that can be magnetized. Other materials, such as wood or plastic, do not have the necessary properties to be attracted to a magnet.

Can magnets lose their magnetism?

Yes, magnets can lose their magnetism over time. This can happen if they are exposed to high temperatures, strong magnetic fields, or if they are dropped or hit with force. However, some magnets, such as neodymium magnets, can retain their magnetism for a very long time.

How can you make a magnet?

To make a magnet, you can expose a piece of iron, nickel, or cobalt to a strong magnetic field. This can align the magnetic fields within the material and make it magnetic. Another way is to rub a magnet against a piece of iron, which can transfer some of its magnetic field to the iron and make it magnetic as well.