Making a reliable potentiometer

In summary: No, the servo would need its own pot.The potentiometer you are using is for the boat's rudder. DaveIn summary, the author is looking for a good solid semiconductor material besides pencil lead and has tried a variety of options but has not found a satisfactory solution. He suggests using rotary encoders or a digital position encoder. Some other considerations include using a servo with a built-in potentiometer and not using an old-style potentiometer on a control knob.
kolleamm
Long story short : I need a good solid semiconductor material besides pencil lead

I can't find any potentiometers that I can insert my own shaft into so I decided to try to make my own. The shaft is about 0.25" in diameter so it's not something big.

Anyways, I know I can use pencil lead as a semiconductor to make a potentiometer but I get the feeling the device will eventually wipe off the material. I need a good solid semiconductor, maybe something I can cut with scissors?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
kolleamm said:
Long story short : I need a good solid semiconductor material besides pencil lead

I can't find any potentiometers that I can insert my own shaft into so I decided to try to make my own. The shaft is about 0.25" in diameter so it's not something big.

Anyways, I know I can use pencil lead as a semiconductor to make a potentiometer but I get the feeling the device will eventually wipe off the material. I need a good solid semiconductor, maybe something I can cut with scissors?

Thanks in advance.
Making your own potentiometer material and wiper material seems problematic. Can you say more about why you can't just use some standard potentiometer and adapt it to your application?

BTW, I'm attaching a very helpful tutorial on potentiometers from Bourns FYI... :smile:

Attachments

• Bourns_Trimmer_Primer.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 585
Likes davenn and kolleamm
Pencil lead is not a semiconductor.
It's graphite (carbon), which is a normal conductor, but not a very good conductor.
I don't know if there are substances with similar properties but more hard wearing, but a lot of commercially made variable resistors do use carbon.
(and yes wearing down of the carbon track is often a mode of their failure)

It will be used on the shoulder of a robotic arm to determine it's position. It needs to be mounted on the outside of the arm, which has a small shaft coincidentally to keep the joint on the axis.

I looked online for potentiometers but...they are ridiculously bulky and have an unnecessary shaft of their own.

Here is a rough sketch, please excuse the quick drawing work :D The red part is where I would like the potentiometer to be.

Attachments

• arm p.png
    arm p.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 462
Have you considered using rotary encoders? That would be more reliable than even commercial pots, and I believe that this is how such robot position sensors usually are done...

Likes nsaspook, davenn, Nidum and 1 other person
berkeman said:
Have you considered using rotary encoders? That would be more reliable than even commercial pots, and I believe that this is how such robot position sensors usually are done...
I've heard of them but never considered them, I'll check them out, thanks!

Yes - encoder is a far better solution .

If you must use potentiometers then get some ordinary ones and use the resistance tracks and wipers from them in your own assembly . Old style radio ones are best sources of bits .

The only problem I'm seeing though with the encoder is that they would probably consume more power since they require an additional chip. Price is also a factor, and I would need to build a more complex code to handle the number of clicks to determine the position. I don't mind paying more, but over time things do break and having to replace encoders might be more of a headache than a potentiometer.

kolleamm said:
The only problem I'm seeing though with the encoder is that they would probably consume more power since they require an additional chip. Price is also a factor, and I would need to build a more complex code to handle the number of clicks to determine the position. I don't mind paying more, but over time things do break and having to replace encoders might be more of a headache than a potentiometer.

a rotary encoder will last a lifetime compared to a "pot"
you would be very wise to take the suggestion offered by Berkeman. It is the usual way for position determinationDave

Likes kolleamm
I also recommend an encoder but if you're set on a pot the a thumbwheel pot may suit;
b503.jpg

Or a slide pot with a push rod could also work.

If your Robot is going to be in any way autonomous, you are going to need an ADC to convert the output of a home made potentiometer. Why not cut out the middle man and start with a digital position encoder? Fit and forget. These things are modern and very reliable. There is a good reason why they don't use analogue pots on control knobs these days.

Likes nsaspook
They do have potentiometers in them however they don't report back their position to the controller for some reason. I guess it's just how they're built for simplicity.

Okay I will take your guys advice and try out some encoders instead.

Likes Nidum and berkeman

Related to Making a reliable potentiometer

1. How can I ensure the accuracy of my potentiometer?

The accuracy of a potentiometer can be ensured by calibrating it regularly using a known reference voltage or resistance. This will help determine any deviations from the expected value and make necessary adjustments.

2. Can I use any material for the resistive element in my potentiometer?

No, it is important to use materials with high resistivity and stability, such as carbon or wire-wound materials, to ensure the reliability and longevity of the potentiometer.

3. How can I prevent noise or interference in my potentiometer readings?

To prevent noise or interference, it is important to use shielded cables and proper grounding techniques. Additionally, keeping the potentiometer away from sources of electromagnetic interference can also help improve its reliability.

4. What is the recommended operating temperature range for a potentiometer?

The recommended operating temperature range for a potentiometer varies depending on the materials used, but typically it is between -40°C to 85°C. It is important to check the specifications of your specific potentiometer for the recommended temperature range.

5. How can I ensure the longevity of my potentiometer?

To ensure the longevity of a potentiometer, it is important to avoid subjecting it to extreme temperatures, moisture, or physical damage. Regular maintenance and calibration can also help prolong the lifespan of a potentiometer.