Make Water Behave Like In Space -- Video

In summary, the conversation discusses a video on CNN that shows how to make water behave like it would in space. The main topic is the height needed to achieve a 10 second free fall time, and a calculator is recommended to find the answer. The conversation also mentions other factors to consider, such as air resistance, and expresses skepticism about the authenticity of the video. The conversation is eventually closed and the original question is deemed to be based on false information.
Newtonfalls
Hi,

just came across a video on CNN showing how to make water behave like it would in space:
<link to video deleted>
My question about that video is:
what height do i need to get a free fall time of 10 sec?

best regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You would need one seriously tall building. After a short google search I can tell you that there is only one building in the USA that would be tall enough. Nothing comes even close, if you are in Europe. I guess you will want to rent a helicopter then :).

You can find the actual number from one of the four kinematic equations, used to describe bodies moving with constant velocity or acceleration. Namely this one:

x=x0+v0t+½⋅at2,

where: x- position after time t, x0-initial position, v0- initial speed, t- time, a- acceleration.

Plug in the values for the variables and you have your answer. You have all the information you need (or can google for it). Let me know if you need more tips.

Although this is neglecting air resistance, so in the real world you would need less.

Newtonfalls said:
ah ok thx. i thought about 300 meters or so
You should check the specifics of this or other calculators for a more accurate prediction for your setup. For example, this one assumes air resistance equivalent to a skydiver, which would be higher than for your more compact device. And the actual mass of your device has a pretty strong influence as well. Changing mass from 10kg to 100kg alters the distance by dozens of metres.

BTW, I am very skeptical of that video. Too many things seem wrong.
Though the principle is sound.

The box appears to be foam plastic, so the air resistance/weight would be significant. The water would not experience 0 g.
EDIT: Here's another from the same folks <link to video deleted>
:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
That one look even more faked. :)
It behaves like it's attached to a string.

nasu said:
That one look even more faked. :)
It behaves like it's attached to a string.
Totally.
Between 00:37 and 00:47 it's not even pointing in the direction it's moving. Just as it would if it were suspended on a string.

Busted.

airplane.jpg

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
Changing mass from 10kg to 100kg alters the distance by dozens of metres.
Which tells you that air resistance is not negligible - so the inside would not be a zero-g environment. It should work fine for a second or maybe two, but for more you want evacuated towers (up to ~8 seconds if they shoot the stuff up first). Even longer zero-g periods are possible with airplanes (~25 seconds), suborbital rockets (minutes) and finally orbital rockets (decades++).

Newtonfalls said:
just came across a video on CNN showing how to make water behave like it would in space:
You did not come across this on CNN.

Thread closed.

Related to Make Water Behave Like In Space -- Video

1. What is the purpose of the "Make Water Behave Like In Space" video?

The purpose of the "Make Water Behave Like In Space" video is to demonstrate how water behaves differently in microgravity environments, such as outer space, compared to on Earth.

2. What is the process for making water behave like in space?

The process involves creating a microgravity environment, such as on board the International Space Station, and using a specialized apparatus to dispense small droplets of water. These droplets then float and merge together, mimicking the behavior of water in space.

3. Why is it important to study how water behaves in space?

Studying how water behaves in space can provide valuable insights into the fundamental properties of fluids and how they interact with each other in different environments. This information can be applied to various fields, such as engineering and medicine, to improve technology and processes.

4. What are some potential applications of understanding water behavior in space?

Understanding how water behaves in space can have practical applications in developing more efficient water purification systems and in creating more precise and accurate fluid systems for spacecrafts. It can also aid in the development of new medical technologies, such as drug delivery systems.

5. Are there any current or future research projects related to this topic?

Yes, there are ongoing research projects related to water behavior in space. Some focus on studying the dynamics of fluid systems in microgravity environments, while others aim to develop new technologies and materials that can improve water management in space missions.