Make sure electro does not fall

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the electric field needed to prevent an electron from falling to the ground when close to the Earth's surface. The approach of taking into account gravity and considering the Earth to be negatively charged is suggested. The formula Fg/q=E is discussed and the question of whether the Earth is typically considered to be positively or negatively charged is clarified. It is confirmed that the Earth is negatively charged, explaining the direction of the electric field surrounding it.
seto6
THIS IS NOT A HOME WORK QUESTION THIS AS FROM ANOTHER Tutorial

find the electric field E need to prevent an electron from falling down to ground, when close to surface of the earth.

i approached this question saying that take gravity into account and take Earth to be negatively charged.

then Fg=Eq then Fg/q=E...

mg/q=E

is this correct?

if not can you explain the reasoning please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

normally do we take Earth to be + or negative?

seto6 said:
normally do we take Earth to be + or negative?
The electric field surrounding the Earth points downward. (The Earth is negatively charged.)

thanks that makes more sense now!

Related to Make sure electro does not fall

1. How does electro not fall?

Electro does not fall because it is supported by a stable base and has a low center of gravity. Additionally, it is designed with materials and structures that can withstand external forces.

2. What are the risks of electro falling?

The risks of electro falling include damage to the equipment or surrounding objects, potential injury to individuals in the area, and disruption of any ongoing experiments or processes.

3. How can I prevent electro from falling?

To prevent electro from falling, it is important to regularly check and maintain its stability by ensuring its base is secure and balanced. It is also crucial to follow safety protocols and handle the equipment carefully to avoid any accidents or mishaps.

4. What should I do if electro starts to fall?

If electro starts to fall, it is important to stay calm and assess the situation. If possible, try to stabilize the equipment or move it to a safe location. If it is too heavy or dangerous to handle, seek assistance from a trained professional.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with electro?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to take when working with electro to prevent it from falling. These include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, following proper handling and usage instructions, and regularly inspecting the equipment for any signs of damage or instability.