Make a barometer that has a dial?

• Thread starter moonman239
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Barometer
In summary, a barometer with a dial works by using a sealed glass tube filled with mercury or aneroid cells. The changes in air pressure cause the mercury or cells to expand or contract, which is then reflected on the dial. To make one, you will need a glass tube or jar, mercury or aneroid cells, a dial with measurements, and a frame or stand to hold everything in place. Aneroid cells can be used instead of mercury for a safer option. The accuracy of a barometer with a dial depends on its design and materials used, and it can be made at home with simple materials and tools. However, it may not be as accurate as a professionally made one.
moonman239
Is this possible? If so, how do I do it?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Start by putting aneroid barometer into google

Related to Make a barometer that has a dial?

1. How does a barometer with a dial work?

A barometer with a dial works by using a sealed glass tube filled with mercury or aneroid cells. Changes in air pressure cause the mercury or cells to expand or contract, which is then reflected on the dial. The dial is marked with measurements of atmospheric pressure, typically in units of millibars or inches of mercury.

2. What materials do I need to make a barometer with a dial?

To make a barometer with a dial, you will need a glass tube or jar, mercury or aneroid cells, a dial with measurements, and a frame or stand to hold the dial and tube in place. You may also need some basic tools like a ruler, scissors, and adhesive tape.

3. Can I use something other than mercury in my barometer with a dial?

Yes, you can use aneroid cells instead of mercury in a barometer with a dial. Aneroid cells are small, sealed metal capsules that expand and contract with changes in air pressure. They are a safer alternative to mercury and are commonly used in modern barometers.

4. How accurate is a barometer with a dial?

The accuracy of a barometer with a dial depends on its design and the quality of materials used. A well-made barometer with a dial can be accurate within 0.03 inches of mercury or 1 millibar. However, changes in temperature and humidity can affect its accuracy, so it is important to calibrate it regularly.

5. Can I make a barometer with a dial at home?

Yes, you can make a barometer with a dial at home using simple materials and tools. However, it may not be as accurate as a professionally made one. Also, be cautious when handling mercury, as it is toxic if ingested or inhaled. A safer alternative is to use aneroid cells in your homemade barometer.