Magnitudes and Directions of Currents in Resistor

In summary, a current in a resistor is the flow of electric charge through a material with resistance, measured in amperes (A). It can be calculated using Ohm's Law (I = V/R) or the formula I = Q/t. The magnitude of the current is affected by voltage, resistance, and temperature. The direction of the current is determined by the flow of positive charge and can be changed by altering the voltage, using specific components, or changing the orientation of the resistor.
thermocleanse

Homework Statement

please see attached picture.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 19-p29.pdf
    357.7 KB · Views: 249
Physics news on Phys.org
Show your attempts. Apply Kirchhoff law.

I don't understand where the current is flowing. I've drawn where I think they go, based on the position of the batteries, but I am confused about where they go after this because they both seem to have the current meet up at the R2 juncture...

please see the attachment here...

thanks.

Attachments

• 19-p29.pdf
    370.6 KB · Views: 204

Related to Magnitudes and Directions of Currents in Resistor

1. What is a current in a resistor?

A current in a resistor is the flow of electric charge through a material with resistance. It is measured in amperes (A) and is represented by the symbol "I".

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a current in a resistor?

The magnitude of a current in a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current is equal to voltage divided by resistance (I = V/R). Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula I = Q/t, where Q is the amount of charge passing through the resistor and t is the time it takes for the charge to pass.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of a current in a resistor?

The magnitude of a current in a resistor is affected by the voltage applied, the resistance of the material, and the temperature of the material. Higher voltages and lower resistances result in larger currents, while higher temperatures can decrease the current by increasing the resistance.

4. How is the direction of a current in a resistor determined?

The direction of a current in a resistor is determined by the direction of the flow of positive charge. In most circuits, the current flows from the positive terminal of the battery towards the negative terminal. However, in some circuits, the direction of the current may be reversed, depending on the components used.

5. How can the direction of a current in a resistor be changed?

The direction of a current in a resistor can be changed by changing the direction of the voltage applied or by using certain components, such as diodes or transistors, which can control the flow of current in a circuit. Additionally, changing the orientation of the resistor itself can also change the direction of the current.