Magnitude of elec field to balance electron?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question in a homework assignment regarding the magnitude and direction of the electric field needed to balance the weight of an electron and a proton. The answer for the electron is given in the book as "55.8 pN/C down," but the person is struggling to understand how this number was obtained. They note a typo in the book and question its accuracy. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with the formula E = g m /e being used to calculate the correct magnitude of the electric field needed to balance the weight of the particle.
Brad_1234
Hi all,

Im doing a question in the homework, its #13 and I am struggling on how to get started.

The question is: what are the magnitude and direction of the electric field that will balance the weight of (a) an electron and (b) a proton?

There is an answer in the book, for the electron "55.8 pN/C down"

This is day 2 of my trying to figure this one out, since the electron has a simple single charge of "e" how to get the force to balance -1.602 E-19 C ? I am searching the book to find out how to convert this into N/C

Ive used the examples on the books companion site, move the charge around and it shows the vector and resulting charge, neat. So I am guessing since the weight is so small, one only has to make a field that counters one charge, but 55.8 pN/C??

I already found a typo in the book, it was showing a right triangle, the 2 sides = .1 and the long side was square root of 2 times .1? so now I don't trust the book, and cannot begin to see how they got the 55 number there, I was going to answer just -1.602 E-19 because one electron should balance the other?? no that's probably not it?

well thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The force needed to balance the particle can be found by coulomb's law.
The electric field is [itex] E = F/q_0 [/itex]. This will give units of N/C.

ok I found out that the direction of the E-field must be vertically downward. This will generate an upward electrical force since the electron has a negative charge -e.

For the magnitude of the E field, solve

m g = e E

E = g m /e where g is the acceleration of gravity. now the number comes out correctly.

Related to Magnitude of elec field to balance electron?

1. What is the magnitude of the electric field required to balance an electron?

The magnitude of the electric field required to balance an electron is approximately 8.99 x 10^9 N/C, which is known as the electric constant or the permittivity of free space.

2. How is the magnitude of the electric field related to the charge of an electron?

The magnitude of the electric field is directly proportional to the charge of an electron. This means that as the charge of the electron increases, the magnitude of the electric field required to balance it also increases.

3. Can the magnitude of the electric field be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of the electric field can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the electric field and the direction of the electron's movement are opposite, resulting in a negative force on the electron.

4. How does the distance between the electron and the source of the electric field affect its magnitude?

The magnitude of the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the electron and the source of the electric field. This means that as the distance increases, the magnitude of the electric field decreases.

5. What is the unit of measurement for the magnitude of the electric field?

The unit of measurement for the magnitude of the electric field is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C) or Volts per meter (V/m). These units represent the force per unit charge that an electric field exerts on a particle.