Magnitude/direction of point charges

In summary, the conversation involves finding the magnitude and direction of the net electrostatic force exerted on a point charge in a given figure. The initial attempt at finding the magnitude was successful, but there were issues when trying to find the magnitude using a specific equation. More help is needed to determine the correct magnitude.
ajmCane22

Homework Statement

(a) Find the magnitude and direction of the net electrostatic force exerted on the point charge q3 in the figure below. Let q = +1.5 µC and d = 27 cm.

http://www.webassign.net/walker/19-31.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found Fx = 1.7 N and Fy = 3.3 N. So the total magnitude was 3.3 N. This part was correct, however when I tried to find the magnitude usting tan^-1(Fy/Fx) = tan^-1(3.3/1.7) = 62.74 degress the answer is wrong. It says I'm within 10%, but still wrong. I don't understand why. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
ajmCane22 said:

Homework Statement

(a) Find the magnitude and direction of the net electrostatic force exerted on the point charge q3 in the figure below. Let q = +1.5 µC and d = 27 cm.

http://www.webassign.net/walker/19-31.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I found Fx = 1.7 N and Fy = 3.3 N. So the total magnitude was 3.3 N. This part was correct, however when I tried to find the magnitude using tan^-1(Fy/Fx) = tan^-1(3.3/1.7) = 62.74 degrees the answer is wrong. It says I'm within 10%, but still wrong. I don't understand why. Please help

If Fx = 1.7 N and Fy = 3.3 N , then the magnitude of F cannot be 3.3 N

Show your work so we can help find where you're going wrong.

Related to Magnitude/direction of point charges

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of a point charge?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of a point charge is q/r^2, where q is the charge of the point charge and r is the distance from the point charge.

2. How does the magnitude of a point charge affect electric force?

The magnitude of a point charge directly affects the electric force between two charged particles. As the magnitude of the point charge increases, the electric force also increases.

3. What is the unit of measurement for magnitude of point charges?

The unit of measurement for magnitude of point charges is Coulombs (C).

4. How can the direction of a point charge be determined?

The direction of a point charge can be determined by using the right-hand rule, where the direction of the electric field is in the direction that a positive test charge would move if placed in the field.

5. Can the magnitude and direction of a point charge change?

Yes, the magnitude and direction of a point charge can change if the charge is moved or if it is influenced by other charged particles or electromagnetic fields.