Magnitude and Direction of Induced Current on a wire around a cylindrical volume

In summary, a uniform magnetic field is directed into the plane of the paper and increasing at a constant rate of 0.300 T/s in a cylindrical volume of radius 0.080m. The magnitude and direction of the current induced in a circular wire ring encircling the magnetic field region can be calculated using the equation I = ε/R, where ε is the induced emf and R is the resistance. Lentz' Law can be used to determine the direction of the current, which will be counterclockwise in this case. The radius of the wire does not play a role in the calculation.
Aphillips2010

Homework Statement

A uniform magnetic field B is confined to a cylindrical volume of radius 0.080m. B is directed into the plane of the paper and is increasing at a constant rate of (delta)B/(delta)t=0.300 T/s. Calculate the magnitude and direction of the current induced in a circular wire ring of radius 0.16m and resistance 1.4 Ohms that encircles the magnetic field region.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

step1: find emf through wire ring using magnetic flux of cylinder?
step2: R(resistance)=1.4Ohms, use equation I=emf/R to find magnitude. and direction is going to be counter clockwise to appose change in flux.

Not sure how to go about starting on this problem. Help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could start by finding the flux phi:
[itex] \Phi = \int \vec{B}\cdot \text{d}\vec{A}[/itex]
But already you know how much the flux changes pr. time so:
[itex] \varepsilon = -\dfrac{\text{d}\Phi}{\text{d}t} = -\dfrac{\text{d}}{\text{d}t}\int \vec{B}\cdot \text{d}\vec{A} = [/itex]
? You know that the area dosen't change with time and you could switch the order of integration and differentiation?

Do i already know how much the flux changes or how much the magnitude of the magnetic field changes?

I keep confusing myself and I don't even know where to start anymore

You know dB/dt and that the magnetic field is uniform, and that you can change the order of diff and int cause the integral is time-independent. So you know how much B is changing and how much the flux canges because you also know your area(i assume that the B-field is parallel with the z axis in the cylindrer)

Last edited:
yes, my Area vector is also parallel and in the same direction of B.

ε=(dB/dt)(∏r^2)cos(0°) is that looing right? and I am unsure about what to do with the different radius measurements too.

Okay i can't see why you want to do something about the radius but except for that you divide the whole thing by R and assume quasistationary current so it is okay to use: emf = RI
So what is the problem, you know all the things, just plug in.
dB/dt = 0.300T/s, A = Pi x 0.080^2m^2.
There is only 1 radius, the cylinder's radius
Also there is a sign error i get as a final result:
[itex] I = \dfrac{\varepsilon}{R} = -\dfrac{\dfrac{\text{d}B}{\text{d}t} \pi r^2}{R}[/itex]
You are aware that cos(0deg) = 1 right?
As a final remark: Use Lentz' Law to find the direction of current.

so the radius of the wire circling the cylinder plays no part in the equation? and yes i am aware haha. the negative current in the end identifies the direction as being counterclockwise, am i correct?

When you use Ampere's Law you make up an imaginary loop and the radius is only relevant for [itex]\int d\vec{A}[/itex]
It is an approximation though.
That is a bigger loop gives bigger current.
Yes i believe you are correct: The nature will always try to oppose a change in magnetic flux hence current runs counterclockwise as indicated on the sign of the EMF.

Related to Magnitude and Direction of Induced Current on a wire around a cylindrical volume

1. How is the magnitude of induced current on a wire around a cylindrical volume determined?

The magnitude of induced current on a wire around a cylindrical volume is determined by the rate of change of magnetic flux through the surface enclosed by the wire. This is known as Faraday's law of induction.

2. Can the direction of induced current on a wire around a cylindrical volume change?

Yes, the direction of induced current can change depending on the direction of the change in magnetic flux. If the magnetic flux increases, the direction of induced current will be in one direction. If the magnetic flux decreases, the direction of induced current will be in the opposite direction.

3. How does the number of turns in the wire around a cylindrical volume affect the magnitude of induced current?

The number of turns in the wire around the cylindrical volume does not directly affect the magnitude of induced current. Instead, it affects the total amount of current induced, as each turn of wire will experience the same magnitude of induced current.

4. Can the magnitude of induced current on a wire around a cylindrical volume be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of induced current can be negative. This occurs when the change in magnetic flux is in the opposite direction compared to the previous state, resulting in a negative value for the induced current.

5. How does the material of the cylindrical volume affect the magnitude of induced current on a wire around it?

The material of the cylindrical volume does not directly affect the magnitude of induced current. However, the conductivity of the material can affect the resistance of the wire, which in turn can affect the magnitude of induced current according to Ohm's law (V=IR).