Magnification equation problem

In summary, when an object is closer to a concave mirror than the mirror's focal point, the magnification is more than 1. This can be determined by using the equation M = -Si/S, where M is the magnification, S is the distance between the object and the mirror, and Si is the distance between the image and the mirror. This is useful in understanding how concave mirrors are used for tasks such as shaving or applying makeup, as they produce virtual, enlarged, and upright images.
Saxby

Homework Statement

When an object is closer to a concave mirror than the mirror's focal point the...
(a) Magnification is more than 1
(b) Magnification is less than 1

Homework Equations

M = -Si/S
1 / f = (1 / S) + (1 / Si)

M = Magnification
S = Distance between object and mirror
Si = Distance between image and mirror
f = Distance between focal point and mirror

The Attempt at a Solution

I an attempt to solve this problem i simply plugged in values where S<f, in this case i'll use S=1 and f=2.

Plugging these values into the second equation i receive: 1/2 = (1/1) + (1/Si). From this equation i get Si=-2, and then plugging S=1 and Si=-2 into the second equation i get: M = -(-2/1) which is M = 2.

If M=2 this leads me to believe that the answer to this question is (a), but according to the answers provided it should be (b). I really can't figure out where I've made a mistake. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I think (a) is correct.
Try drawing a principal-ray diagram to convince yourself.

The magnification should be

M = - Si/S

Sorry, i believe i wrote that the wrong way round but i used M = -Si/S in my solution

I've edited it now, but i still have the same problem in that the answer i have isn't the same as the answer provided

Last edited:
Concave mirrors are used to shave or put on makeup since they produce virtual (Si negative and thus on the other side of the mirror) enlarged upright images as you found by a positive (upright image) larger than 1 (enlarged) magnification (image larger than object).

Ok, turns out my answer was right. Thanks for your help everyone :)

Related to Magnification equation problem

What is the magnification equation problem?

The magnification equation problem refers to a common mathematical problem in the field of optics and microscopy. It involves calculating the magnification of an image using a specific formula.

What is the equation for magnification?

The magnification equation is M = hi/ho = -di/do, where M is the magnification, hi is the height of the image, ho is the height of the object, di is the distance of the image from the lens, and do is the distance of the object from the lens.

How do I solve a magnification equation problem?

To solve a magnification equation problem, you need to know the values of hi, ho, di, and do. Once you have these values, plug them into the equation M = hi/ho = -di/do and solve for the magnification, M.

What unit is used for magnification?

Magnification is a unitless quantity, meaning it does not have a specific unit of measurement. It is simply a ratio of the height of the image to the height of the object.

What factors can affect the magnification equation?

The magnification equation can be affected by several factors, including the focal length of the lens, the distance between the object and the lens, and the size of the object. Additionally, the type of lens (e.g. convex, concave) and any aberrations can also impact the magnification.