Magnetized Toroid Problem 6.10 - Griffiths EM

• Thread starter buhthestuh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Toroid
In summary, the conversation discusses problem 6.10 from the Griffiths Book on EM, which involves finding the magnetic field at the center of a narrow gap in a bent iron rod with uniform longitudinal magnetization. The solution involves treating the problem as the superposition of a complete torus and a square loop with reversed current. The field at the center of the gap is given by B=\frac{\mu_0 NI}{L} - \frac{2\sqrt{2}\mu_0 I}{\pi a}, where NI represents the total current in the toroid and I represents the current in the square loop. There is some confusion regarding the relationship between M and I, but the final solution is B = \frac{\
buhthestuh
Hello,

I needed some help with a problem from the Griffiths Book on EM. It's problem number 6.10 if anyone has the book. Here is the problem and I have attached a crude drawing using MSPaint.

An iron rod of length L and square cross section (side a), is given a uniform longitudinal magnetization M, and then bent around into a circle with a narrow gap (width w). Find the magnetic field at the center of the gap, assuming w << a << L. [Hint: treat it as the superposition of a complete torus plus a square loop with reversed current.]

The field inside a toroid is: [tex]B= \frac{\mu_0 NI}{2\pi s}[/tex]. The hint would lead me to believe that I can take NI -> M. The field at the center of the gap due to a loop of current in the opposite direction would be:[tex]B=-\frac{2\sqrt{2}\mu_0 I}{\pi a} [/tex].

This means the answer would be:
[tex]B=\frac{\mu_0 NI}{L} - \frac{2\sqrt{2}\mu_0 I}{\pi a}[/tex].

However I don't see how to resolve the current(I) in this problem. Is there a way to relate M and I or am I going about this problem in the completely wrong direction.

Attachments

• toroid.bmp
    48.2 KB · Views: 792
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
buhthestuh said:
The field inside a toroid is: [tex]B= \frac{\mu_0 NI}{2\pi s}[/tex]. The hint would lead me to believe that I can take NI -> M.
Not quite. NI would be the TOTAL current in the toroid. You've probably figured out the bound surface current is [itex]K_b=M[/itex]. So knowing you have this bound surface currentm you can solve for the total current and equate that NI.

Ok it seems then that the field should be

[tex]B = \frac{\mu_0 M}{L} - \frac{2\sqrt{2}\mu_0 Mw}{\pi a}
[/tex]

or

[tex]
B = \mu_0 M \left[ \frac{1}{L} - \frac{2\sqrt{2}w}{\pi a} \right]
[/tex]

However since L >> a and [tex]2\sqrt{2}w >> 1[/tex] the field would be negative. But that seems proposterous considering that w is just a minute width compared to the whole of the toroid.

Last edited:
That ain't right. How'd you get the L? The field shouldn't depend on L. (It also doesn't add up unit wise).

For the whole loop the total current is [itex]K_b(2\pi s)[/itex] so [itex]B=\mu_0M[/itex].
The rest is all ok.

Related to Magnetized Toroid Problem 6.10 - Griffiths EM

1. What is the basic concept behind the Magnetized Toroid Problem 6.10 in Griffiths EM?

The Magnetized Toroid Problem 6.10 in Griffiths EM deals with the magnetic field generated by a solenoid or toroid, which is a coil of wire wrapped into a circular loop. In this problem, the toroid is also magnetized by a current flowing through the wire, and the goal is to calculate the magnetic field both inside and outside the toroid.

2. What are the equations used to solve the Magnetized Toroid Problem 6.10 in Griffiths EM?

The main equations used to solve the Magnetized Toroid Problem 6.10 are Ampere's Law and the Biot-Savart Law. Ampere's Law allows us to calculate the magnetic field inside the toroid, while the Biot-Savart Law is used to calculate the magnetic field outside the toroid.

3. What are the key assumptions made in the solution of the Magnetized Toroid Problem 6.10 in Griffiths EM?

The key assumptions made in the solution of the Magnetized Toroid Problem 6.10 are that the toroid is infinitely long, the magnetic field is uniform along the length of the toroid, and the magnetic field inside the toroid is zero. Additionally, it is assumed that the magnetic field outside the toroid is purely due to the current flowing through the wire and not the magnetization of the toroid.

4. How does the solution of the Magnetized Toroid Problem 6.10 in Griffiths EM change if the toroid is not infinitely long?

If the toroid is not infinitely long, the solution of the Magnetized Toroid Problem 6.10 becomes more complicated. The magnetic field inside the toroid will no longer be zero, and the assumption of uniform magnetic field along the length of the toroid will also no longer hold. In this case, the solution would require additional calculations and possibly numerical methods to account for the non-uniformity of the magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Magnetized Toroid Problem 6.10 in Griffiths EM?

The Magnetized Toroid Problem 6.10 has various real-world applications, such as in the design of electromagnetic devices like transformers and inductors. It is also used in medical imaging techniques like magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Additionally, the principles behind this problem are used in the design of particle accelerators and other high-energy physics experiments.