Magnetism results from relativistic effects on a moving charge?

In summary, the discussion revolves around the link between magnetism and relativistic effects on a moving charge. Though there is no specific proof, various arguments and sources have been suggested to support this concept. The main idea is that Coulomb's law alone cannot explain the behavior of electromagnetism in a relativistic framework, and the addition of a magnetic field is necessary to maintain covariance.
Leon31415
Hi

Does anyone have a link to a proof that magnetism is a result of relativistic effects on a moving charge? I am sure that I have seen one but I can't find it.

Thanks

John

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have a link, and I don't know what you mean by a proof, but here's a rough argument. Because of length contraction, the charge density of an object increases as [itex]\gamma[/itex] with velocity, and so it's electric field changes as well. In order for different, relatively moving observers to observe the same force, there must be an extra term coming from the movement of the object, which is the magnetic field.

For example, say there are two uniform, parellel line charges of opposite signs. Then they attract with a certain force. Now if we transform to a frame moving parellel to the wires, their lengths contract, so the charge density increases (since total charge is invariant under lorentz transformations). Thus we should expect the wires to pull on each other more strongly, which would contradict the prediction of the first frame. This effect is counteracted by fact that the magnetic fields of two parellel wires of oppostie current are such as to repel the two wires, and so the predictions come out the same in both frames.

This is an argument that what appears as an electric field to one observer will appear as a magnetic field to another. This together with a proof that Maxwell's equations are lorentz invariant are really the closest you can come to the proof you want.

I'd suggest the wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Relativistic_electromagnetism&oldid=145189916

and it's reference
http://physics.weber.edu/schroeder/MRR/mrr.html

If you want a well-known peer reviewed textbook source, get a hold of Purcell's book on electromagnetism.

I believe Feynman talks about this in his lectures somewhere as well.

There is a "simplified" version of the derivation also available at http://www.chip-architect.com/news/2007_02_27_Magnetism_as_a_Relativistic_side_effect.html

You might have run across this earlier on PF, it's written by one of our regulars (though I haven't seen him around for a while).

One comment I would make - gravity serves as a counterexample for the statement that the the complete equations for electromagnetism can be derived just from Coulomb's law.

The fundamental issue is that Coulomb's law can't be complete, because the forces it gives don't transform properly. Magnetism is one of the simplest ways of adding a force to the Coulomb law force that makes the resulting force behave in a properly covariant manner (i.e. in a manner in which the forces and 4-forces transform according to the requirements of relativity).

Related to Magnetism results from relativistic effects on a moving charge?

1. How does a moving charge create a magnetic field?

When a charged particle is in motion, it creates a magnetic field around it. This is because the movement of the charge creates a current, which in turn generates a magnetic field according to Ampere's law.

2. What is the relationship between magnetism and relativity?

According to the theory of relativity, space and time are intertwined and affected by the motion of objects. When a charged particle moves, its electric field is transformed into a magnetic field due to the effects of relativity.

3. Can magnetism exist without a moving charge?

No, magnetism cannot exist without a moving charge. A stationary charge does not create a magnetic field, only an electric field. Magnetism is a result of the relativistic effects on a moving charge.

4. How does the strength of a magnetic field change with the speed of the moving charge?

The strength of a magnetic field is directly proportional to the speed of the moving charge. This means that as the charge moves faster, the magnetic field it creates also becomes stronger.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetism resulting from relativistic effects on a moving charge?

Magnetism resulting from relativistic effects on a moving charge is utilized in many modern technologies, such as electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators. It also plays a crucial role in the Earth's magnetic field and the behavior of cosmic rays in space.