Magnetic Pressure: Formula Origin & Derivation

In summary, the conversation is about a formula for magnetic pressure, which is represented by ##P_M=\frac{B^2}{2\mu_0}##. The person is curious about where this formula comes from and how it can be derived. They mention that they have found information on Google, but it mainly focuses on using the formula rather than understanding its origins. They also mention that they are currently reading about it and plan to discuss it with others before attempting to derive it themselves.
Vrbic
I have seen a formula for magnetic pressure ##P_M=\frac{B^2}{2\mu_0}## Where does it come from? How my I derive it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vrbic said:
I have seen a formula for magnetic pressure ##P_M=\frac{B^2}{2\mu_0}## Where does it come from? How my I derive it?

what did your "I" Tag undergraduate research find for you
there's lots of stuff on google :wink:

davenn said:
what did your "I" Tag undergraduate research find for you
there's lots of stuff on google :wink:
Mostly only the using this formula but not much what is behind.
I'm reading something right now but for me is nice to discusse it with others. In few hours I would write my attempt and ask around. That's my way.

Related to Magnetic Pressure: Formula Origin & Derivation

1. What is magnetic pressure?

Magnetic pressure is the force exerted by a magnetic field on a surface area. It is a result of the interaction between charged particles within the magnetic field.

2. How is magnetic pressure calculated?

The formula for magnetic pressure is given by P = B^2/2μ, where P is the magnetic pressure, B is the magnetic field strength, and μ is the permeability of the medium in which the magnetic field exists.

3. What is the origin of the formula for magnetic pressure?

The formula for magnetic pressure was first derived by James Clerk Maxwell in his famous set of equations known as Maxwell's equations. It is based on the principles of electromagnetism.

4. How is the formula for magnetic pressure derived?

The formula for magnetic pressure is derived by considering the forces exerted by a magnetic field on charged particles within the field. By analyzing the interactions between these particles, Maxwell was able to formulate the equation for magnetic pressure.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetic pressure?

Magnetic pressure is used in various technologies such as magnetic levitation trains, magnetic confinement fusion reactors, and magnetic bearings. It also plays a crucial role in the formation of stars and galaxies in astrophysics.