Magnetic Force on Electric Currents

In summary, the question asks for the current in a wire that is 2.00m long and experiences a magnetic force of 0.810N in a magnetic field of 0.030T. Using the formula F=ILB, the current is calculated to be 0.074A when the wire is oriented perpendicular to the magnetic field. However, the question is poorly worded and does not specify the orientation of the wire, which could impact the calculation.
Mikala
1. A current in a wire which has a length of 2.00m in a magnetic Field of 0.030 Teslas, feels a magnetic force of 0.810 Newtons. What is the current in the wire?2. F=IlB, Find I3. F= 0.810, l= 2.00m, B= 0.030 T, I=? (A)
I= l x B I= 2.00m x 0.030 T I= 0.074 A
F 0.810
Not really sure if the setup is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is poorly worded ... it should be more that 2m of a wire carrying a current passes through a 0.030T uniform magnetic field and experiences a force of 0.810N... what is the current? (Missing: orientation of the wire to the field.)

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/forwir2.html
You appear to have started with the correct approach: F=ILB
You know F, L, and B: so solve for I and plug the numbers in.
(assuming the current is oriented 90deg to the field.)

I don't know why you wrote I=lxBI or how you got I=0.074A
Because of the way you have written your algebra, your thinking is unclear: this would cost you marks.

Related to Magnetic Force on Electric Currents

1. What is the relationship between magnetic force and electric currents?

The magnetic force on an electric current is the force exerted on a current-carrying wire placed in a magnetic field. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How is the direction of magnetic force determined on a current-carrying wire?

The direction of the magnetic force on a current-carrying wire is determined by the right-hand rule. If the thumb of the right hand points in the direction of the current and the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, then the palm will face in the direction of the magnetic force.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic force on an electric current?

The strength of the magnetic force on an electric current depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the length of the current-carrying wire, and the strength of the current flowing through the wire.

4. Can the magnetic force on an electric current be used to do work?

Yes, the magnetic force on an electric current can be used to do work. This is the principle behind electric motors, which convert electrical energy into mechanical energy by utilizing the force of the magnetic field on current-carrying wires.

5. How does the direction of the current affect the direction of the magnetic force?

The direction of the current affects the direction of the magnetic force. If the current is reversed, the direction of the magnetic force will also be reversed. Similarly, if the direction of the magnetic field is reversed, the direction of the magnetic force will also be reversed.