Magnetic Force in a Current Carrying Wire

In summary, the effect of the magnetic field on the electrons inside a wire is a radially outward force and the force on one electron at a distance r from the centre of the wire is equal to (1/2)u0v2e2nr. To find the current, the substitution I=\int J \bullet da should be used, where J is the current density equal to nev.
creemore

Homework Statement

The current in a wire consists of n electrons per unit volume moving with a velocity v. What is the effect on these electrons of the magnetic field set up by the current itself within the wire? What is the force on one electron at a distance r from the centre of the wire?

Homework Equations

F = QvBsinθ
Magnetic field strength at a distance r from the axis of the wire outside the wire = u0I/2∏r

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for part 1, the effect of the magnetic field on the electrons inside the wire will be a radially outward force (taking all electrons to be traveling in straight lines along the wire).

Part 2

F will be equal to QvBsin90 = QvB

Making the subsitution for B I have

F = Qvu0I/2∏r

I believe now that I have to make subsitution for I. Which would be 4/3∏a3vne

where e is fundamental charge and a is the radius of the wire.

This gives:

F = (3/8)u0ve2na3r

I know that the answer is:

F = (1/2)u0v2e2nr
I think I'm making a mistake in calculating my current, but I'm not sure. Help Please?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi! This is my first time helping someone out so here goes:

To make the substitution for current I, you should use:
[itex] I=\int J \bullet da [/itex]
where J is the current density, equal to nev in this case. After doing a quick integration you should get the proper current which will give the correct answer for the force.

Related to Magnetic Force in a Current Carrying Wire

1. How does a current carrying wire produce a magnetic field?

When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a circular magnetic field around the wire. This is due to the movement of the electrons in the wire, which are charged particles, creating a force in the direction perpendicular to the direction of current flow.

2. Can the strength of the magnetic field be changed in a current carrying wire?

Yes, the strength of the magnetic field can be changed by altering the current in the wire. The stronger the current, the stronger the magnetic field will be. Additionally, the distance from the wire also affects the strength of the magnetic field.

3. How is the direction of the magnetic field determined in a current carrying wire?

The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the current flow, the direction of your curled fingers will indicate the direction of the magnetic field around the wire.

4. What is the relationship between the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the magnetic field is always perpendicular to the direction of the current flow. This means that if the current is flowing in a straight line, the magnetic field will be in a circular pattern around the wire.

5. How is the strength of the magnetic field affected by the distance from the wire?

The strength of the magnetic field decreases as the distance from the wire increases. This is because the magnetic field spreads out as it moves away from the wire, resulting in a weaker field at further distances.